1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP H. Ross Perot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jul 9, 2019.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I didn't vote for Perot in '92, but if you had told me it would either him for prez then or Trump 24 years later, I would have been campaigning for H. Ross back then.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If Perot had waited until 1996, kept his message fresh and run on a Republican ticket, he would’ve trounced Clinton. The party apparatus was the missing ingredient.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

A Texan running against a Hog.
    Now that would have been a trip.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Well, there were two Texans running against a Hog in 1992. (Counting GHWB as a Texan, generously.)

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Any political capital he may have gained in 1992 disappeared the night of the debate with Gore regarding NAFTA. Talk about your star sinking quickly ...

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

See that's the problem with talking about Trump; its not about his position on issues. Hell he could be for outright Anti-Choice, anti-immigration, pure laissez-faire economics/trade policy, I don't care, I would disagree, but would respect his position because he was citing/relying upon what he thought supported his position. He's the president, he won under the system in place, I respect that. I did that with Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush 41, and Bush 43, and the other candidates, McCain, etc.

When you try to compare Perot to Trump, its apples to oranges. Perot never tried to gaslight you by pretending its an alternative universe where the only facts are the ones that Trump says is true and where the only laws are the ones he chooses to recognize.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One thing I'll always respect about Perot - well two things, first his efforts on behalf of Vietnam War POWs and secondly that he made an entirely economic argument to vote for him - and really not much else. He actually was the top vote getter in about a dozen counties.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

"Now that's just sad."

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a Dana Carvey tweet but he hasn't posted since May.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

First election I was eligible to vote. Came down to the last few days to decide. Ended up voting for Clinton but was close to voting for Perot.

And as many have said, Carvey was brilliant on Perot and GHWB.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’m less ashamed of my vote for Perot in ‘92 than I am of my vote for W in ‘04.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Here's a photo from the Times of Ross and his family back in 1987. Look at those noses.

[​IMG]

This is one guy who never had to worry if his kids were his.

Draft saved Draft deleted