1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What was your outrage level?

Why would no one say anything? Oh, wait.

Opinion | A Judge’s Rebuke of Immigration Detention

The Shame of America’s Family Detention Camps

Judge Orders Release of Immigrant Children Detained by U.S.

Opinion | Mr. Obama’s Dubious Detention Centers

Opinion | At an Immigrant Detention Center, Due Process Denied

Officials Obscured Truth of Migrant Deaths in Jail

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If you gave him all the states he has a positive approval rating and include Georgia, which is at zero, he's still 90 electoral votes short.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why does it matter? What Trump is doing is different and much worse. Are you really that dense?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I gave him all those states, plus those he was only underwater 5 point or less - he still loses.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'm sure all the chatter was about how to empower women, LOL

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No way - look at the last governor's race there. He wins Florida.
    Ohio? Maybe not

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

My god? Trump isn't dealing with it markedly different than Obama? WTF are you smoking and where can I get some?

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Here’s what I don’t get about Florida. The voters overwhelmingly approved a referendum enfranchising most released felons and the GOP led state legislators basically put in a poll tax to make sure most people impacted by the law can’t vote. Why isn’t there just a huge outrage, if only for circumventing the will of the people?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All statewide elections in Florida are close, so either side can win. Florida Democratic consultant Steve Schale noted last fall that the total separation between the two parties over the last SEVEN presidential elections was like 50,000 votes out of tens of millions cast. Since 1992, Florida's gone R, D, tie decided by Supreme Court, R, D, D, and R. So I think it's way premature to say it's in the bag for or even tilted for Trump or the eventual Democratic nominee.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I said it on Election Night 2016 that I thought Clinton was still safe after losing Florida and Ohio. She still had Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. The fact Trump won all three -- after all went blue in the previous six presidential elections is still confounding to me.

It really was the perfect storm from an Electoral College standpoint. Winning Pennsylvania and Michigan flipped things and they were razor-thin margins, though not Florida 2000 close.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Just a gut feeling from a lot of time spent in the state over the last three decades.
    I know 10 Trump supporters for every Dem - and they vote. No ambivalence.
    Florida's demographics have changed massively just since 2000.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.