1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports/Online Editor at the Lincoln Journal Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Alec McChesney, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Alec McChesney

Alec McChesney New Member

This is my old gig. I was the assistant sports/online editor for about 10 months here in Lincoln. If you have any questions, email me at mcchesneyalec@gmail.com or comment below. I'll try to check those as well.

JOB JUST POSTED: The Lincoln Journal Star is seeking a creative and innovative Assistant Sports/Digital Editor to head up one of Lee's most successful sports franchises, HuskerExtra.com, as well as Prep Extra, its landing spot for high school sports. This editor will develop and execute social media and multimedia strategies, help manage breaking stories and look for ways to improve our coverage online and in print every day. This editor will play a lead role in making sure our coverage of Nebraska athletics, especially football, reaches new corners in the digital world. The job includes some supervisory, editing and other duties as assigned.

The Assistant Sports/Digital Editor works mostly an evening/night schedule, but some shifts are determined by Husker kickoffs or state tournament events. The ideal candidate will have 2-3 years’ experience in digital journalism, including experience in editing and making editorial decisions. Prospects must be able to edit stories, cutlines and other content for completeness, clarity, tone and legal liability. They must have an aggressive approach to social media, and they must enjoy enhancing and improving the work of others through editing and presentation. This position is well suited to editors who can work quickly, handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and communicate quickly and clearly to peers, reporters and other editors.

The Assistant Sports/Digital Editor will have opportunities to write stories, so reporting skills are a plus.

The Lincoln Journal Star offers an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, a 401(k) plan and paid time off. All applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background check.

Applicants must apply online at www.journalstar.com/workhere. Please attach resume and cover letter.

2. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

This comes up every few years.

3. Alec McChesney

This was open last April and I filled around August. Before that, it was held for a few years by the same guy. So it's relatively stable.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

First question - why are you leaving after only 10 months?

5. Alec McChesney

Long story short, I am going to a digital content/marketing firm to hit the reset button a little bit, focus on improving my digital skills going forward. My girlfriend also is moving to Lincoln and so we are trying to settle into a groove in that regard.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a jerk, but this reads like you were unable to handle the job's responsibilities. So was it you, or was the job too much?

7. Shea Carlson

Shea Carlson New Member

Not to speak for Alec but from my own experience. He was an awesome boss to work for and did a lot of innovative things that the J Star wasn't doing before he got there, including big projects for the news side of the paper. Unfortunately with more buyouts and frozen/eliminated jobs, more and more production has had to come from the editors in Lincoln.

8. Alec McChesney

Not a jerk at all Doc. If anyone was interested in learning more about the job, I would 100 percent divulge more information on the job and its responsibilities. However, for here, I will just say that I am ready to have a night off.

9. Alec McChesney

Also, if anyone near Quinnipiac University needs a freelancer, clerk, consistent writer, give Shea a call. He's heading out there in August for grad school and would be a good addition to your team.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sounds like there's more to this story. I get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted