1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NESN TV reporter apologizes after use of ethnic slur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Jun 19, 2019.

1. JackS

JackS Member

I lived in New Orleans for 2 years and it was the best 2 years of my life.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Are you white, male and Christian?

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I honeymooned in New Orleans, and it was the best honeymoon of my life. Also my only one.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. outofplace

It's a great place to visit, as long as you stay in the right places. There's just no way in hell I'd ever want to live there again.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I love other people commenting on what I supposedly meant. What I meant is that there’s a hell of a lot of racism here like there is everywhere else but because of the city’s history and well-earned reputation based on that history, when something happens here it generates more attention when, really, I doubt other cities are less racist. As for the demographics, I pointed out the relatively smaller number of blacks compared to other cities - as well as the relatively small proportion who descent from slaves in the South - more because it’s an interesting nuance to the city that a lot of people aren’t aware of.

The dumbest response was the suggestion that either I was somehow excusing racism, denying it or wondering naively, “Gee, Boston is awesome, why don’t more of THEM want to live here?’”

6. JackS

JackS Member

Why? Because that demographic is oppressed elsewhere? ;)

7. outofplace

Because that demographic doesn't face the bigotry I experience and observed during my time in Louisiana.

8. JackS

JackS Member

I would differentiate "New Orleans" and "Louisiana" significantly in that regard. Not sure if you're moving the goalposts.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was just jerking your chain; I should have used blue font on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted