1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I saw that too. Another quietly remarkable career.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Hot take alert, the womens cage match on nxt this week was better than the one Kofi and Ziggler had

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Damn. Shawn Spears (the former Tye Dillinger) just clocked Cody with a BRUTAL chair shot smack to the top of the head. Cody was busted open HARD.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Did I say it enough times?

5. JimmyHoward33

How violet was the Moxley match? The gifs I saw looked pretty freakin violent.

Are we in danger of some kind of ECW descendent that doesnt work with what we know about health in 2019 on some level here?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was Tye Dillinger, so you needed four more.

Baron Scicluna and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

It was no worse than the worst of Attitude Era extreme matches in WWE. Nothing beyond barbed wire and tacks, though in multiple doses.No

light bulbs or anything like that, and there was more blood when Cody got clocked.

8. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

Possibly unpopular opinion: If a wrestler is okay with taking the occasional unprotected head shot I don't really have a problem with watching it. Now if they're forced to take them, that's a whole other story.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's my thinking, too. But then you have guys who spent 20-plus years willingly taking unprotected chair shots in 20 different promotions around the world suddenly suing the WWE for working a handful of shows under its umbrella where they had to do it. That, to me, is a little silly.

Are the unprotected shots still a pretty regular thing on the indy circuits where guys have a lot more control over that sort of thing? Or have they become frowned upon by promoters at all levels?

10. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

That's a good question. I have no idea.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Attitude WWF’s “hardcore” matches had more junk in the ring that anything ECW was doing, and all because Jim Cornett didn’t like how Heyman wasn’t “following the unwritten rules.”

12. JimmyHoward33

I’m not fine with it. It makes me uncomfortable as a fan, it takes me out of the moment. Instead of thinking about what a rat bastard the heel who did it is, I’m thinking about the kayfabe of it all, the protection, then I’m thinking about Foley and Rock.

That kind of chair shot no longer has the ability to tell a story. Not in 2019 with all we know about cte and head trauma.

Its a distraction. And when doing will lead to nothing but internet discussion about the merits, its time to retire it.

Anyone talking about how cool it is they have Tye Dillinger? About how Dillingers NXT call up was botched? No. Its all about Cody taking the chair. Thats not good for anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted