1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Heyman should do well with Raw. Bischoff has experience working with bigger network execs who want to weigh in on programming. Not sure how he'll be with creative, but he'll tell you any WCW or TNA struggles were all someone else's fault.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Bischoff's problem also seemed to be that he would get too close to the boys, wanting to be like them and hang out with them, and giving them crazy nuts contracts in terms of money. (Kevin Nash has mentioned that he and Scott Hall had crazy "favored nations" contracts that basically meant they got an automatic raise whenever someone else got a raise, so that they were always in the Top 5 of paid performers.) He's older now, and I assume he wouldn't be in charge of contracts, so that might mitigate his worst habits.

TNA never really had that many resources, so I'm not sure how much blame should be laid at the feet of Bischoff and Hogan. They seemed to be brought in to signify that they were going to go head-to-head with WWE, only for that effort to end after a couple months. (Kind of reminds me of the Ebersol football league thing - If you're going to take that big of a shot, well, you gotta make sure you have a significant war chest and be able to just burn money for a while.)

JRoyal likes this.
  3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm curious if maybe this move was done as a prelude to Vince stepping aside and letting Triple H take the reins. If not, it's a helluva slap in the face to the son-in-law-in-waiting.

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

JRoyal likes this.
  6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I don't know if Tommy Dreamer is working us, but this is pretty out there: On a podcast, he said when he was in Houston for Wrestlemania 17, he was determined to go up to the broadcast table, shoot Paul Heyman and then himself during the show. Dreamer said it was because he felt betrayed by Heyman after ECW's demise and after plans for him at WM were scuttled, but then he got a call from Jim Ross, who told him they still had plans for him, and he abandoned his plans for a public murder/suicide.

Tommy Dreamer Discusses Being Depressed, How Jim Ross Saved His Life - Wrestlezone

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m also wondering if it’s Vince finally admitting he’s bitten off more than he can chew about spending time with both the E and the XFL.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Really good story. It’s remarkable what he’s been able to do in the last two years. He’s literally created another career for himself.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm all for guys trying out new finishing moves, but that seems a little much.

Fans, meanwhile, would have chanted "E-C-W! E-C-W! E-C-W!" and Vince would have ordered that the show continue.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thanks. yeah, he even messaged me on Twitter and followed, telling me what a great story it was. I don't usually get feedback from the wrestlers so this was pretty damn cool.

Baron Scicluna and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

This is cool

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted