1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I can't even imagine the VAR nightmare this tactic would bring unto us.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You haven't been watching the same WC as me.
    It just happened again 5 minutes ago to Japan.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Maybe so ... but the amount of money spent marketing the men's game (which doesn't need as much) vs. the women's game (which can usually use a little more) is staggering. No, I don't have some figures and, amazingly enough, I'm not important enough that FIFA is going to quickly provide them to me.

But you can be sure than restaurants, hotels and other places where fans might be will run into World Cup promotional material passed out at men's sites. You think they're as concerned with doing the same with women's sites?

Also note that the Women's World Cup final is scheduled on the same day as the Gold Cup (CONCACAF) final and the Copa America final. Do you think FIFA would dare schedule anything against the men's World Cup final match?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Can't argue that. Don't have FS1 available in my newsroom. Lucky for me, I was off yesterday so I could see U.S.-Spain without issue (which got chippy in a hurry since the Spanish was trying to neutralize the speed of the Americans).

5. poindexter

Here's another one for this tournament.

I specifically think the rule DOESN'T say it has to be intentional.

6. poindexter

Here's the 'deliberate' handball against Japan.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm trying to imagine a world where more PR is something a sports journalist would ever desire.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

They awarded a penalty for that? The last replay looked like it hit her side.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

With a miracle goal in stoppage and El Salvador shitting the bed we could see soccer powerhouse Curacao advance in the Gold Cup and potentially face the US.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yet another column about how uncomfortable the USWNT should make you and how unpleasant this entire experience should be for everyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/megan-rapinoe-isnt-here-to-make-you-comfortable/2019/06/25/af08fda0-977c-11e9-8d0a-5edd7e2025b1_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.affb893cacc2https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.affb893cacc2

I don't get it. I do get it - this is what sports journalists do now - but I don't.

Beyond that, there are some strange moments in the column.

"Rapinoe isn't anti-American for refusing to smile and sing through disappointment. She's simply a disappointed American. But few ever ask why and listen to her concerns."

The column does not list her concerns. There does not appear to even be an interview. So either her concerns are obvious (which, they are, because she's explained them for anyone who wants to know) or the column is as disinterested in them as anyone else. (It is not, because the writer knows what they are, as does anyone who wants to know.)

"Let's not lionize Rapinoe. She is flawed, and she probably can point out her shortcomings faster than you can."

The whole column lionizes her - which is fine, but it does - and if she is flawed (everyone is), how would her ability to point those out those faster than anyone else could (which is a great trait, not a bad one), an example of anything? The column's next line is a comparison to Colin Kaepernick - who is a martyr, by Brewer's estimation, whereas Rapinoe is not - so lionization must be that standard.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

If they lose the 30/30 in 2030 on how all this nonsense ate into their focus and planted seeds of discontent and jealousy all over the roster is going to be incredible.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bob Ley retires from ESPN during the Summer of Soccer. Fitting.

Draft saved Draft deleted