1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up for embarrassing screw up: Post-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Jun 9, 2019.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. Has little to do with the gutting of newspapers and everything to do with horrible judgment.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

A skeleton crew consisting of INCOMPETENT staff members. I, too, can't argue with your post. The "social engagement" team in this situation should be canned. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one or two, fresh-out-of-college hires.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah, it’s probably some overzealous person or group of people in Madison who should know better. Most of Lee Digital is there and they’re not a skeleton crew on weekends.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Horrible judgment in the people who are hired.

Then again you can’t find many waiters willing to work on the Titanic when it’s taking on water.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

FWIW, the Post-Dispatch had a good copy desk until earlier this year.

Then most of the jobs were gutted. What a surprise that things fall apart afterward. :cool:

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Execs need to cut where they can so they can get their yearly bonuses.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I read the P-D sports section every day, and there are typos and grammar mistakes in nearly every story, mistakes that a first-year journalism student should catch. All the people on staff write a shit-ton, though, so I give them a pass.

I place the blame on short-sighted executives who don’t care if the product is full of errors because they don’t care about the news. Errors, errors that should be caught, damage the product and a paper’s reputation.

But, hell, it’s all fake news anyway, so I’m sure Fox Sports will be along soon to set the record straight.

Draft saved Draft deleted