1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life of Reilly: The rise, fall and rise again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

One of my favorite writers and always will be. Everybody here criticizes and makes fun of him, but he's up there with Royko and Lewis Grizzard as far as I'm concerned. I get what happened to him, too. Some people simply cannot churn out award winning material year after year after year for 40 years. The pressure and workload is too much.

So he took a step back, mailed his shit in for a few years. Good for him. He's enjoying life now, not work, and that's all that matters.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was going to ask what she was doing, then hit the googles and saw she's hosting a late-night ESPN+ show. I'd say that fits the definition of irrelevant.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not irrelevant if ESPN is making a big push to make ESPN+ a success.

ESPN is doing kind of an interesting thing. They have a lot of really good people under contract doing several jobs instead of having a single promotable focus. People like Katie Nolan, Mina Kimes and Sarah Spain bounce around between writing, filling in on HQ and Around the Horn, hosting podcasts and doing weekend radio without having any main gig on the main network. It give the network a deep bench and a lot of flexibility.

swingline likes this.
  4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You'll appreciate this story. I'll never forget working for a local TV station (this particular station = my definition of hell)... and I found out from the guys at the competing station that they were going to bid on the package to televise the local college hoops powerhouse.

Wanting to kiss ass, I immediately told our station GM. He said, "Fantastic. We'll bid too and raise the asking price sky high." He had no intention of getting the package-- he just wanted to hurt the other station badly. And he did.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

8. AD

AD Active Member

not a big Reilly as columnist fan (except for his drive for mosquito netting, "nothing but nets," that is still saving lives and has been more impactful globally than just about anything anyone here, including me, has ever written), but I shop for my family.

sorry: that's a really good, fun column. I mean, no one's writing fun anymore. despite myself, I found myself saying, "yeah!," and enjoying the whole thing.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4200 comments.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if it's accurate to say supermarkets are "firing" cashiers. More like they can't find/hire them to begin with. And by now don't most shoppers prefer self-checkout? Also, the only receipt checkers I've ever seen are at Costco. No one's at the exit to your Kroger wanting to see your receipt and rifle through your bags. But I don't mean to interrupt a riffing Reilly.

wicked likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't mind self-checkout if there are lines at the checker lanes - too often I find no checkers and lines at the self-checkout lanes. Not a fan. Better to design checkout stations that could have checkers/or self-checkout - but they don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted