1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I don’t know why I’m doing this because board history has shown over and over that it’s futile, but I wish you didn’t do this. It adds nothing to the discussion. Take him at his word and refute on merits.

Signed,
    a liberal

HC likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Typical you'd defend Alma.

Don't you Trumpists have your own safe space now?

HC and Donny in his element like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The grift is going to become a permanent and ongoing fixture.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, and then there's this. The R's are using a picture of this in their post. Look at the right side of the GOP post, by the statue. Note the "Save Jobs" placard in the GOP picture of a "protesting militia".

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Is there a significant difference between these detention center conditions under Obama and Trump?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, he was for it, before he was against it. Gotcha.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I keep bringing up Obama for this reason: I think he's a moral man. More than many presidents.

And yet, and yet...this was a major issue under his presidency, too.

Because maybe...this is a hard problem to figure out. Maybe throwing around words on social media is a little easier than actually creating a system that handles all of these cases while simultaneously not encouraging millions and millions more to come. (Thousands are coming anyway every month.)

HC likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And there are still Republicans in Oregon wondering why they have had a grand total of ONE candidate elected to a statewide office in the last 30 years or so, in what was formerly a pretty red state.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They are? They shouldn't. Portland is one of the most progressively left cities in America. Eugene, too.

Portland's an interesting place. I actually quite like it. But it's kind of rough.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure.

The number of men, women and children held in detention is much higher under Trump - which contributes to and amplifies the problems we're talking about.

VB-Detention-2018-Fig-2.png

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Republicans rightly point out that without Portland, Oregon would be a red state. They also feel that people in Portland shouldn't count as much as the "real Oregonians" living out in the sticks. The Ds in this state elected a "supermajority" (three-fifths) in both the Senate and the House which allows them to pass bills that raise revenue without GOP support - so the GOP grinds things to a halt by denying a quorum in the Senate of 20 (tw0-thirds).
    The sad thing is that there are Ds ready to gut the climate change legislation once the GOP returns.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Is the difference in conditions and number of detainees - plus the reason they're being detained - more similar between Obama 15 and Trump 19 or Trump 19 and Dachau and every other German concentration camp?

Again: My point is to examine what did and didn't four years ago vs. imagining the American government has invaded Central America has placed millions in camps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.