1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A day in the life of a Facebook content moderator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 20, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean, fuck the First Amendment, amirite?

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Twitter: Hold my beer.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Shut Twitter down, too.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My neighbor's son was a Facebook content moderator and wouldn't even tell his mom what he was seeing. I don't think he lasted very long. It was rough.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They’re also the Angel Hernandezes and C.B. Bucknors of the Internet.

I’ve had several times when I’ve had to be blocked from posting for a month because, during a political discussion, someone made a complaint that I was violating “community standards, usually by telling another poster that their post lacked logic because of A, B and C. Then I would retaliate by complaining about the other poster’s homophobic and racist posts, and be told that I should just block the other person if I was offended.

There’s no rhyme or reason to their blocking for community standards violations.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’ve posted before that the clutching of the Bill if Rights like they were written by God himself makes no sense.

The Founding Fathers in no way could have foreseen social media or the weapons sold at box stores in 2019.

Do you honestly think Thomas Jefferson would have a person anonymously posting videos of cats getting their heads chopped in half for anyone in the world to see or the POTUS tweeting falsities without consequence?

Do you really think the Founding Fathers would have been ok with people having the ability to wide out a hundred people in under a minute?

No. Fucking. Way.

Technology changes science. Most of the world thought the sun was the center of the universe in 1776. People had no idea what an atom looked like. DNA? Shit. Technology changes the world everyday but we can’t touch the Bill if Rights.

That mindset is taking this country down.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Tell that to the 2A zealots who "claim" they would die before letting ANYONE take their guns away.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

If they did, it would be by their own hands, not because it would actually happen otherwise.

It all comes down to consideration and thoughtfulness, like the Founding Fathers tried to use.

9. bigpern23

Who becomes the arbiter of “horrific shit” worthy of banishment? The government? No thanks.

justgladtobehere and Batman like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm dumbfounded by this.
    I mean, I get that you're frustrated. But the Bill of Rights is ... well, it's the Bill of Rights. It's the list of stuff government cannot do, ever. If you run it through the paper shredder what better solution do you replace it with? And what happens when you start picking apart one ... and then another ... and then someone else decides that this amendment or that amendment "makes no sense?"
    It turns the slippery slope into a sheer cliff is what.
    Get rid of the First Amendment? OK, let's start throwing journalists in jail. According to lots of folks around here, there's a president in office now who would love to do it.
    How about the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and Eighth Amendments? We don't really need any protections in the criminal justice system, right? Throw folks in jail and let them rot until the end of time on whatever flimsy charges the government can think of.
    Same goes for other Constitutional protections.

There are a lot of gray areas in the Constitution, I'll admit. That's why the Supreme Court does its thing every so often, is to work out the nuances. But to suggest that they're outdated and serves no purpose is sheer fucking lunacy. The Bill of Rights might not have been written by God, but it's the closest thing we have in this country to sacred texts.
    The Bill of Rights is literally the thing on which every personal freedom we have in this country is based upon, and you can't break up the set. Even if there's one you find troublesome, like the Second Amendment, once you get rid of one you've laid down the blueprint to get rid of them all.

11. bigpern23

Also, the heliocentric model of the galaxy had been established by Copernicus a good 200+ years before the Constitution was written. You should be banned for life for posting falsities! ;)

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

IIRC, the Catholic did not allow that to be published. The Catholic Church still held to the heliocentric model until 1822.

Draft saved Draft deleted