1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sports name you long mispronounced

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Same here.

2. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I don't mispronounce it, but I ALWAYS read Gwinnett Stripers as "Gwinnett Strippers"

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Dallas sports radio fans have long enjoyed the pronunciations of sports names by non-sports news anchors. Like “Pooge” Rodriguez or “Jim Likelikeum.”

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I find it amusing to see this thread full of the ways everyone mispronounced sports names without actually providing the proper pronunciation. At least of half these, I'm like, "Wait, that's not right?"

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I had a friend who always Americanized Guy Forget's name. Or he'd say, "Joe was supposed to go the store today, but the guy forget," using the proper pronunciation. You probably had to be there, but it was hilarious.

He called Cadillacs Caddyshacks and the concession stand the confession stand, too.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Twirling Time and Fred siegle like this.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Albert Poo Holes

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Last year was when I first became aware of the weirdness of J.A. Happ.

8. RARist

RARist Member

This guy has made a career out of it

9. Pony_Express

Pony_Express Member

When I was a kid, my brother and I had a Carl Yastremski baseball card. We both used to call him "Carl Yesta-mer-gee".

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We called him Yas-ter-ZIM-ski

Pony_Express likes this.
  11. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Not a miss pronounce but a miss spell. When I worked on the desk I constantly spelled it “penquins” in headlines, (and by the way it took me four tries to purposely miss spell it here, spellcheck kept fixing it.) it got onto proofs a few times, and maybe in the paper once or twice (it doesn’t look really that much off!) before my coworkers recognized my problem. I had a real mental block. It became a running joke with everyone after a while.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I use key and peele pronunciations on purpose for some of the kids on my teams . (B-lak-e, A-A Ron). It’s to the point they don’t know I’m talking to them if I say Blake or Aaron.

Draft saved Draft deleted