1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Oh.......Scherzer pitched last night.
    Unreal.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The PNW is glorious in summer — and was even better when I lived there in the mid-2000s, where a 90-degree day was cause for concern. I worked construction, and when we had a week of mid-80s, we'd go to work at 6 a.m., which pretty much sucked. The last few years, however, the weather has been way hotter there than it was 15 years ago.

Thank goodness there's no global warming to worry about.

All that said, the minor league team in Portland drew fairly well when I lived there, and I think a major league team with good ownership could thrive (which could be said about many sports franchises).

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

a good team can thrive in almost all places not located in Florida. Put a good team in Memphis, Charlotte or Portland and they will do well. And by good I mean Kansas City and Minnesota level. They win often enough that being a champion is not out of the realm of possibility, but they have more winning seasons than losing seasons. Seattle supported the team when it was doing well and even moderately well. Baltimore is getting less than 10K to actually show on a regular basis. Even when they were bad they used to draw 30-40K for Boston and New York. THats 18 games a season. Now, they get in the low 20s. 20 years of shit ownership can kill a franchise.

Move the Rays to Portland.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Memphis is small and poor. It is not going to support a major league team. Income and presence of large corporations are important for a team to survive.

Anybody know how MSAs work out. Like is Boston's geographically smaller compared to places in the south and west because of population density and other cities nearby? For instance,

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The MontRays, or the RayMonts. Sounds like a 1960s band, like the Gentrys (Keep on Dancin and a Prancin), the Rivieras (California Sun), the Ventures or the Chantays.

So, half the year they are paid in US dollars, the other half in Canadian dollars? The tax implications on the players would be confusing and onerous and finding a place to live would be a nightmare. I can't see the Players Association ever approving this.

PS: "California Sun" is a tremendous song.

maumann likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Pro athletes are never paid in Canadian dollars. All the major sports pay American money.

8. micropolitan guy

OK, did not know that. Still, have to be some tax implications as part-time Canadian residents, right? Can't see Ontario and Quebec just getting nothing for income earned there.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Won't it depend on how the dollar is doing vs the loonie? That was a factor when Quebec and Winnipeg lost their NHL teams, no? Taking in loonies and paying in U.S. funds?

10. micropolitan guy

The only baseball stadium in North America shittier than the Tropicana Dome is (drum roll) ... Olympic Stadium!

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Best part about this (so far) ... Rays officials will discuss this is a news conference not at the Trop, but at the Dali Museum in St. Pete. Because the whole thing is surreal.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted