1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I think the bigger they get, though, the more they’ll see that the new audience they’re hoping for is already subscribing for other content. They hired three boxing/MMA writers, for example, and it seems likely that many interested in that kind of coverage are already subscribing for other content. If that truths out to be true, then paying for that many writers becomes tricky.

I think it’ll get to a point, if it hasn’t already, where The Athletic tries to do a little bit of everything and finds that many reading that new content they’ve created were already subscribing.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I had no idea you could negotiate. I'm speechless.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just a few months ago I'd have said that Sirius was right up there with a washing machine as something I couldn't live without. Then I finally got into a few podcasts and my teenager turned me onto Spotify, and now I think I can let the Sirius subscription run out. It's just crazy how many media choices there are and how tastes can change so quickly.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Our XM/Sirius subscription was up at some point last year, and a rep called my wife to see about signing up again for the low, low price of about $140 a year. My wife kept saying no until they threw in three free months and the others were, like, $5 a month at most. We'll let it go the next time it comes up for renewal because, yes, Spotitfy, and to a lesser extent Pandora. Phone hooks up through the radio, and you're set.

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Sirius will literally do anything to keep you. Pretty sure they wouldn’t be above sending hookers to your house or murdering your mother-in-law for you. Keep you at any cost. Great business model

6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I still have my USC miniature championship football. It's a bit deflated these days.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Where were you guys 3 days ago. I thought I was ripping them off when I said via their webpage chat system of re-upping, "you know what, as a consumer I just can't see paying 199 a year for radio. I love Sirius and love Stern and love the comedy channels and news channels but I can't pay 199 a year for radio." So after a wait I get it for 99 but after extra charges it's 140.
    I said fair enough I'll take it. I shoulda said, I can't pay more than 100 dollars a year for radio.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You pay how much?

You can subscribe at $29.95 a year through Amazon.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I just got an email with as annual renewal bill for $242 for my wife’s car. I guess you need to make a phone call.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I continually try to negotiate down my mom’s cable bill. I might get $25 a month off. Comcast won’t budge.

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Just called Sirius, said I wanted to cancel and they dropped our monthly rate from $21 to $7 a month for a year, fees included, and included a couple of free months. I've been with them awhile.
    (No, I won't spend the savings on a sub to the Athletic. There already is plenty of quality helicopter coverage available for free, but I appreciate the info on Sirius.)

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Can you guys please remind me in a year about this Sirius stuff. D'oh!

Draft saved Draft deleted