1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. That sinking print product has at least 2.5 million subscribers who each pay (just using myself as an example) well over $120 a year. That's like $300 million. Add advertising. They ought to be able to make something out of that for a long time.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

First thing I thought of:

"You do what you do
    You say what you say
    You try to be everything to everyone
    You know all the right people
    You play all the right games
    You always try to be
    Everything to everyone
    Spin around and fall down
    Do it again
    You stumble and you fall
    Yeah why won't you ever learn"

Now do that stupid dance for me.

3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

They can in some ways get away with doing a little bit of everything because most every addition they've made is bringing in a new audience. Some subscribe for NFL coverage, some for NBA coverage, some for NHL coverage. But once I'm in, I'm still able to read something that piques my interest even if it's not what originally got me to subscribe. I appreciate clicking on a link and not getting the "You have 2 free articles remaining" message pop up too.

4. My subscription is $2 for this year. Who pays $120-plus per year?

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

And to think how much tronc executives are paid.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tell me where you live, I have some magazines to sell you.

2muchcoffeeman and PaperClip529 like this.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Off topic, but Sirius radio is 199 dollars a year. That's too steep. Just too steep for any media. Lot of great music stations and talk stations but 199 dollars? Plus they have 40-50 dollars in fees. Newspapers should not charge more than 60 dollars a year in this day and age.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You need to argue better with Sirius. Or quit for a bit. They’ve been begging me for years to come back for at most $5 a month. Alas, I’m a podcast man now.

9. Just checked and yeah they auto charged my card $107 a couple of months ago. Gotta watch that crap. And yes I canceled then after seeing the price. But I get to enjoy it for another year, and then maybe they give me that sweet $2 deal. And maybe a shoe phone.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

At least newspapers don't robocall the shit out of you.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

With any magazine subscription, I always write a check, to avoid automatic renewal pain. I believe I paid $20 for a year of SI .... You still find some gems in the magazine, but a lot of mediocrity compared to even recent years. And if there's something really good, I can read it free on SI.com.

SportsDesigner likes this.
  12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My current annual subscription is $70. I love it, only thing I listen to in the car and I'm in the car a lot. That said, I would never pay $199 for it but have never come close. I've had it for six or seven years and some times I've had to fight with them and other times they've given me the best rate without me saying anything. Additionally, I don't want to fight with them that often so I take the best annual rate I can get, but if you call them every six months you could probably get that down to $50 or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted