1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas Morning News photog in right/wrong place at right/wrong time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Didn't notice the shooter's reflection in the building until reading the comments. Holy shit, what a photo. Pulitzer-level.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Kind of torn on this one.

1) An incredible photo, and definitely Pulitzer-caliber. So much respect that he was able to keep his wits about him to get it.

2) If I am his family/loved ones, I'm as pissed off as I could possibly be that he would put himself in such danger for a photo. Very lucky to still be alive, after putting himself out there long enough to get the photo. And for an industry/employer that would put a (figurative) bullet in his head and send him packing without a second thought?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't take the job out of the guy. Even though the guy might someday be (figuratively) taken out of the job.

SFIND likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Can they just hold the 2019 contest now and get it over with?

Twirling Time likes this.
  7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

It's a great photo, but I don't think it's Pulitzer worthy. Sure, there's a lot to take away: The large rifle the shooter used, the magazines, the look in his eyes. But it doesn't have the same caliber as, say, the photo of the gunman who shot the Russian ambassador to Turkey in 2016. That image shocked the world, yet it wasn't a finalist for the Breaking News Photography.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I see your point, but the photo of the vehicle running over the counter-protesters in Charlottesville won. It's not the makeup of the photo that carries the day with the Pulitzers normally. The newsworthiness of the event factors in a lot. Since no one ended up hurt in the Dallas shooting other than the gunman, odds are this photo won't carry as much weight in the judging.

Draft saved Draft deleted