1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This whole thing drove me fucking nuts. Score all you want and can. Tone down the celebrations.

People like Nancy Armour then said we'd never say such things about men. THAT'S INSANE. I can remember England beat Jamaica, 6-0, in a friendly. Peter Crouch scored a hat trick, I want to say, and the third one was the sixth goal, maybe, and he did his robot dance. And I remember thinking, if I were that Jamaican keeper, I'd break Crouch's skinny fucking legs. Win as big as you want. You don't rub salt in the wounds that you've left, especially not against Thailand, a team that's basically entirely funded by a female benefactor who employs the players when they're not playing football. You look like absolute dicks.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You mean you had a problem with this snapper celebration after 9-0?
    WHAT ARE YOU, SOME SORT OF WOMAN-HATING MONSTER??
    [​IMG]

typefitter likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A tie in the 3rd match is not off the table. It was fine to run it up.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Not if they lose to Sweden

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Nigeria was pretty hard done ā€” after a (legit) VAR call awarding a penalty and sending off the offending player for a second yellow, the France defender shanked the PK wide. But VAR gave her a second chance because they keeper was slightly off of her line. Second kick converted, they lose 1-0 and may miss out on a round of 16 place. Not loving VAR for penalty kick infractions.

7. Inky_Wretch

Well, here we go USMNT. Iā€™m thinking 2-1 tonight for the US.

8. Inky_Wretch

A thumping start by the USMNT.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I would hope so, against a team ranked 177th in the world.

10. Inky_Wretch

Much like an abused dog, I worry a friendly pet will become a kick to the ribs.

Cosmo likes this.
  11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The end of the Scotland-Argentina match, and I'm just confused. If they are going to use VAR to get one call right they screw up the rest of the match? That's OK?

It took something like eight minutes to review whether it was a penalty, they eventually award it already in stoppage time, then it's stopped and they say she's off the line and review it again and award another kick, eventually all is completed in the 95th minute or in that area, say there are four minutes of stoppage time, which, how after all that review? Then let them play about a minute and call it good.

Scotland absolutely blew the match but how the end of that was handled was ridiculous. How is that allowed in a World Cup? And why in the world is the adding of time such a mystery in this game?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  12. Inky_Wretch

Man, fuckabunch of VAR on reviewing the GK's feet on PKs.

Draft saved Draft deleted