1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Ken Burns documentary on Country Music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

justgladtobehere likes this.
  2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

No Sixteen Tons?

Still a better list than sirius xm did for its top 1000 country songs of all time, with the number 1 being Friends in Low Places, good bar anthem, not the top country song of all time.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.

Batman likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, that and an entire generation of "country" artists who grew up listening to Skynyrd and Tom Petty and the Eagles. I love all three, but it still isn't country music. It's harder to parse someone like Chris Stapleton, whose version of "Tennessee Whisky" is country as hell, but who still is as much blues and bluegrass as he is country.

I don't care too much about trying to stuff people into niches, but I'm somewhat picky and snobbish about my country. I guess that started when Nashville started putting strings behind all kinds of so-called "country". When someone like Dwight Yoakam came along and consciously hit the reset button I was very happy.

Florida-Georgia Line gives me a rash.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Once you reach mid-90s country you also run into music abomination issues.

BadgerBeer and Twirling Time like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well, good. Keep those goat ropers out of there.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The Possum’s “He Stopped Loving Her Today” is No. 1 until someone takes the title away, and Tammy Wynette is dead and Loretta Lynn is a pet project at this point.

Batman, Inky_Wretch and Matt1735 like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would have thought Garth would have been a logical ending point if you're not going to be "up to now." Garth charting no. 1 overall after record sales began being recorded by sound scan rather than record company reports ushered in a lot of interest outside of Nashville, record companies starting Nashville specific labels, tv specials, radio stations flipping to a country format.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There’s starting to be a reconvergence of country and pop music in the Billboard charts, although nobody alive today is spinning a true Top 40. Thomas Rhett, Blake Shelton and Luke Combs are all over the pop charts along with Old Town Road in its TENTH week at No. 1. Break out the mechanical bull again!

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

People can quibble all they want about Garth, but he is still the #1 selling solo artist of all time.

Of all genres. Second on the sales list only to The Beatles. Above Elvis, Michael Jackson, Elton John and Billy Joel.

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=top_tallies&ttt=TAA#search_section

TigerVols likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So, what happens when you play this Ken Burns’ documentary backwards?

spikechiquet and expendable like this.
  12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I'm not griping about Garth Brooks at all. If I was going to pick his top song ever, The Dance would be it. But nothing tops the Possum. Best country song Ever.

Inky_Wretch and Wenders like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted