1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oberlin College has to fork over $44 mill to family bakery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 13, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Reminded me of the Duke lacrosse case, where the administration sided with outraged community groups and a few dozen left-of-left (then left of that) faculty members, ignoring all relevant facts.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    tapintoamerica and maumann like this.
  2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I just found the Oberlin Review article that sparked that. It was a little more nuanced. Basically, students were complaining that they were getting nearly inedible food, which was labeled as traditional cuisine.

I kinda agree. With the tuition Oberlin is charging, I'd want sandwiches that taste like they're straight from a Hanoi street vendor.

CDS Appropriates Asian Dishes, Students Say

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

[Wilford Brimley voice] IN MY DAY, the big excitement each week was Chicken Burger Day. Our university dining hall was buffet, all you can eat. I think I put back eight chicken burgers one dinner.

Pizza Day would have been a treat, except they just put all the week's leftovers on pizza crust. Corn and broccoli pizza? MY STARS.

These monsters are spoiled, is what I'm saying.

britwrit likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ohio caps it at three times the judgment.

Otherwise? I think it could have been, gosh, north of $100 million. The jury may have tried to shut the school down.

Which, on some level, I don’t agree in penalizing educational institutions like that for something like this. Oberlin erred, but its leadership wasn’t the architect of this bit of fabulism. Post-Missouri, school leaders are rightfully fearful of what happened there. Without that kid filming Melissa Click, it’s hard to say how much worse it might have been.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Diabeetus.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Size of that settlement, that's what the cafeteria's offerings maybe reduced to.

Pilot likes this.
  7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I've had a cheeseburger in Vietnam and it was shit, so I guess that's just the way it goes.

My college cafeteria used to do a special theme night every so often, almost always based on another country's cuisine. All the staff would get dressed up. There'd be a "special" menu, special stuff on the side, special drinks. It was usually pretty bad, but I appreciated the effort. That's the last place I'd look to for authentic anything.

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and britwrit like this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It's a funny thing people will try to run artisans and artists out of business because they're offended by a product name or design. They're "woke" but they do absolutely nothing to help entire communities who lack food, water, and other basic things.

This lefty loathes SJWs.

Batman and tapintoamerica like this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Eddie Murphy's Welfare Burger clears its throat.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Better than McDonald's?!

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

With Red Kool-Aid. And you punctuated.

Fred siegle likes this.
  12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

At one point, the college's attorney tried to say that the family bakery, which had been around since the 1880s, was worth less than the cost of one semester at Oberlin.

Draft saved Draft deleted