1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sports name you long mispronounced

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jun 13, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What's a name in sports that you long mispronounced, either because you were young and naive, or it just took a while for you to hear someone say it properly.

I'm thinking of this because I just came across the B-R page for Nap Lajoie, whose last name I always assumed was "LaJoey" until I heard a friend's father pronounce it.

The other is Ivan DeJesus, who will always be Ivan "Da-Jesus" to me.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I still can't pronounce Giannis Antetokounmpo.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I thought it was 'Kee-Kee' Cuyler. I read later that it's 'Ki-Ki' because he had a stutter and would say his name as 'Ki-ki-Cuyler.' Don't know if its true.

I still don't know why Rafael Devers last name is pronounced the way it is.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bryon Russell just kicked a cat across the room and has no idea why.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was sports director at my college radio station and with graduation coming up, they wanted to tryout a few new anchors. One fill-in couldn't pronounce Martina Navratilova. Each time she tried it got worse. Marteen Nav-rat-a-la, Martin-un Nav-o-roll-uh. I was simultaneously upset and humored.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Always thought it was Jim Lar-a-NAY-ga. Although he bears some responsibility for not adopting the tildes until he went to the U.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It's pronounced, "Le Freak."

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Kyrie Irving apparently doesn't realize his name should be pronounced like the Mr. Mister song.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

People in Dallas have been calling him Roger Stau-BACK for years.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

NPR ran an April Fool's story some years back claiming that the Boston Celtics had decided to officially ask their fans to pronounce their name properly, changing the pronunciation from Sell-tics to Kell-tics. Hilarity ensued.

Draft saved Draft deleted