1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Nope, not Smoltz. Beyond his Cy-winning season, he had four other top 7 finishes, including a 3 and a 4.

2. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Rollie Fingers?

3. CD Boogie

Good guess, but no. Besides winning in 1981, Fingers actually finished in the top 8 in voting three other times, including a 3rd place in 1975.

Hint: This guy won his award in the 1960s.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Like my Early Wynn guess, it has to be a guy who played most of his career before they created the award then had a great season in his late 30s.

5. CD Boogie

that is incorrect. His career actually started the same year that the Cy began, 1956.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I looked it up and I was surprised at who it is. He even finished fifth in MVP voting one season without a vote for the Cy Young.

McNuggetsMan likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I though Don Drysdale, but there is no way he couldn't get a Cy Young vote for 1968.

He is a borderline HOFer at best. Got in on Sandy's coat tails.

8. CD Boogie

It is Drysdale. 1968? Gibson had his 1.12 ERA that year and won it unanimously.

9. micropolitan guy

Isn't 68 the year Drysdale pitched all those scoreless innings in a row? I thought he'd get at least one vote.

OK, here's a stumper. Who are the last catcher/pitcher combination to homer before the other team even came to bat?

10. CD Boogie

Rick Wise and Gene Tenace?

11. micropolitan guy

No. I should make the question clearer, my bad. Who are the last catcher/pitcher combination to homer in the top of the first inning in the same game?

This question has St. Louis Browns or Philadelphia A's written all over it, but it is from what we would consider the modern (divisional play) era.

12. CD Boogie

Rick Rhoden and Tony Pena.

Draft saved Draft deleted