1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else read old threads here and get sad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, May 22, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not all of us are gone, but that reminds me of S-P. Which is sad.

HC likes this.
  2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Reminded me of spnited too.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We went back to try and figure it out. I started Sound of Music in 2008 and it was about 2 years before that.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Oh God.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's easy to want to look back on the past and reminisce about "the good old days," but like Billy Joel once sang, "the good ol' days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

Eleven years ago, I was still at my old shop. Now, it's two jobs later, and I'm finding the PTSD about the way things ended there is striking less and less. On some level, I still miss the good times I had as a journalist, but on some level, I'm glad I am where I am now.

I wouldn't have had some of the great times I've had since then if I'd stayed in journalism. I wouldn't have made some of the memories that I've made since then.

It's a trade off.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When I think about it, the strangest part is that in 2008, nothing would have made me guess that I'd be in a second career before retirement. I mean, we knew online was making inroads, but I and yes, my colleagues never considered that newspapers would simply shutter the doors or downsize to this degree.

I think I came out better vis a vis my contribution to the world with the change. That's why I'm pretty happy with life right now. Well, that and grandkids.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Which reminds me ... probably making a run to the NHL Store on Friday in a little metro spot wearing the same sweater I wore to the Hockey Hall of Fame. Probably to find out that all they'll have representing a team making a fairly deep Stanley Cup playoff run is a couple of raggedy T-shirts. Maybe some distressed logo Whalers T-shirt.

(And truthfully ... except for the new black alternate, I strongly prefer the CCM/Koho sweaters for design and build quality, anyway. No complaints whatsoever. Vacation is always nice.)

HC likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes, Toronto was 2006.

I remember driving up to Toronto with Sam and two of our friends no longer here. It was a long drive. It was a hilarious drive. It presaged a great weekend, one of the more fun (and drunken) ones in my life.

I’ve zigged and zagged a lot since. I’ve met some goals (worked in the newsroom I always wanted to) and failed at a bunch of others. I’m midlife crisis-ing myself... wonder when I’ll grow up (if ever) and accept the whole adulting thing. Turning 40 was a reality check.

Oh, yeah, one thing is the same: I can still write lots of words filled with nonsense and post them on SJ.com.

Huggy and HC like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I read old threads from time to time too. I should probably be getting better use of that library card. And while spnited and SF_Express are gone, we still have their wisdom to consult.

Think I found this place om 2009, after getting back into sports in 2008. Life's taken a few twists and turns and I'm not in the business any more, save for some freelancing and BLOGS!. But still enjoy this place, for the banter and to hope to do a little bit to help out those still plugging away.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. joegrst

joegrst New Member

That's a good way to look at things.

Also, congrats on the weight loss. It's my first year living in NY, I just went through the end of a long-term relationship, and I'm working to get under the 200 pound mark myself. It's interesting--to say the least--that I would come across a thread like this on a website I've never heard of before tonight.

With Reddit, Facebook, and everything else, I'm glad to see that it's still active.

jr/shotglass, Tweener and Moderator1 like this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No outing, asshole.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The best part of the last decades (35-45) is that I don’t care about any material upgrades in house or car or lifestyle. The changes I desire are time and spending it better.

Draft saved Draft deleted