1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Jon/Dean pretty much corroborated what folks have been complaining about for years - Vince doesn't know when to say when.

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Honest question: can you blame Vince for not giving all the decision making to HHH? He has pride, ego and he built the company to what it is today.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can’t blame for not wanting to give up, but I do think he keeps making the same mistake over and over again, which is doing way too much. The company tends to suck creatively when he’s distracted (WBF, XFL, steroid trial, XFL2)

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

No. F HHH. He’s the one who wouldnt let Cody take off that stupid suit. Hes not the savior.

I blame Vince for insulating himself and developing the creative process that Dean detailed. You dont need that, you need collaboration.

The biggest difference between NXT and main roster, I think, is less HHH and more that the talents agents and HHH create together without all that “wait for a meeting” “wait for a script” BS

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

NXT also has like... 10 percent the complexity of booking for the main roster? Like, just way lower stakes, with a much smaller roster, no pressure to turn a consistent profit, the ability to freshen things up easily, etc. Even if the wrestlers are green. Triple H deserves credit for turning it into something really nice - past things like FCW and OVW never got much momentum - but yeah, its not like things magically get fixed if he and Stephanie take over all WWE aspects.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I dont even think the wrestlers ARE green.

At one point in the Jericho pod he said “as a 28 year vet I want to be able to put together my own wrestling match.”

In NXT, vets like Balor, Joe, Riccochet, Cole, yeah they dont have Y2Js 28 years but they are allowed to put together their own wrestling match.

On the main roster theyre not, its all filtered and micromanages. And I think the main roster has some talented amazing agents like Tyson Kidd and Finlay but when guys do their own things it tends to be better, more engaging

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Some of them, though is NXT isn’t under the constraints of TV partners and timing issues. They can just go on the Network and do what they wish and if they go over by 30 seconds,
    no biggie.

In TV, everything has to be timed perfectly, and even then, timing gets fucked up occasionally.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. John B. Foster

The thing is, HHH knows a lot about the business. He is the one who brought in the indy guys - wrestlers that Vince was never really fond of.

In addition, HHH is in control of NXT and 205, arguably the two most popular shows at the moment. I think he could do well if he was in charge of Raw and Smackdown.

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet. Gotta be pretty awe-inspiring for Kofi. Can't wait to see what they get out of it for the network.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can't wait to hear if Kofi got more than $500 out of it.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  11. John B. Foster

Just amazing.

JimmyHoward33 and Batman like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Walmart loves NXT? Who knew?

John B. Foster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted