1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m curious to see how far Book Smart goes in the big awards.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The movie is gorgeous on top of everything else. Beautifully shot. A nightmare in wonderful New York 80s tones.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Depends on BO. Comedies that don't make money rarely get much attention. If it goes north of $40, got a shot. It's a hard R, so we'll see.

Lady Bird made $48 domestic, got five noms. But it also came out late in the cycle.

Booksmart will be helped by Olivia Wilde as director.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, it beats a bunny boiling on the stove.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Booksmart was really well done. The girls version of Superbad but with less raunch and better characters all around not just main leads.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Booksmart had depth. Superbad had none.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Movies about teen girls are deeper. Eighth grade, Edge of Seventeen, Lady Bird. The deeper movies about male adolescence - The Spectacular Now and The Perks of Being a Wallflower - aren't as well known. I guess Whiplash is out there. I think Whiplash has some BS in it, but it's a decent movie.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched "Wine Country" last night on the glowing recommendation of my in-laws. Holy fucking shit it was terrifuckingble. My god. I guess I was simply not the desired audience, but it was horrendous.

I don't even really like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, but I recognize they are an objectively good comedy duo. So, with both on board for "Wine Country," they decided just to never have them share the screen together, which was really bizarre. And, apparently, they couldn't afford Melissa McCarthy, so they hired someone similar to play her role (poorly).

Bottom five worst movie I've ever seen.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

My wife really liked Wine Country. I did not watch it.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saw Bite the Bullet - a mid-70s western about an endurance race. Hackman is great as always, good cast, indecipherable script, bad editing and incompatible score, but the horses are phenomenal. Not as good as Hidalgo from a few years back.
    Sometimes you realize why you haven't seen a movie you think you should have seen years ago.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It has moments but it's much too long. Most movies are. But when comedies are...

Draft saved Draft deleted