1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Well, he is a hairy headed gent ....

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Not like Trump gives a fuck, but ... 61346979_10156474468135669_7272398548694466560_n.jpg

garrow likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Gee thanks Jake, now Trump has a new list of things he'd love to eradicate.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The media is more than willing to comply, I think we’d agree.

It’s one of the most compelling arguments against him. He can’t leave it alone, neither can the media, it just goes on and on.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There’s a big divide between private and public unions. I know both - have lived both.

I am telling you a most inconvenient truth that I sorely wish wasn’t true: public unions cost a lot of taxpayer money. A lot a lot.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So does treating employees fairly, which is the reason for many of those costs you are complaining about in your post.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's not the public sector's fault that the private sector pissed away its negotiating potential. If the private sector had kept up with the public sector those salaries wouldn't look as bloated as they do.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, fairly and all that.

I would say public unions - and I don’t begrudge them this - have negotiated some pretty sweet, extraordinary deals with city governments that city leaders, in their haste to get support, agreed upon 25-30 years ago. They cost a lot, and since public unions often offer essential services, strikes can be tantamount to city disasters.

Now, I’m sure you have a rebuttal about how much I don’t understand or misunderstand or am lying about, so, by all means, educate us on how public unions work.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One thing about public unions. Because the police and firefighters get everything they want in every negotiation, the other unions follow their lead and ask for the moon, settling for an asteroid and pretending to be unhappy about it. True story, in my town's last contract negotiation with the firefighters, the union actually said, "we can't think anything more we want in terms of hours, benefits, etc. Just a pay raise from now on.

Alma likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I want my tax dollars to build a road or teach a child.

Not fund someone else's retirement. I'm already paying taxes to fund MINE.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, I had no problem with the on-topic part of your response. I do have an issue with some of your whining about unions, but there are two sides to any negotiation. Blaming public unions for doing their jobs while municipal governments failed to do theirs properly is unfair.

Your last sentence, however, is an issue. Please don't put words in my mouth. By doing so, in addition to posting inaccurately, you turned a reasonable discussion into an outlet for your whining. If you don't want to have to read it when people do point out the flaws in what you write here, post more honestly and accurately in the future. Thank you.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You don’t believe in people getting pensions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.