1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bart Starr

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, May 26, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Packer Hall of Fame QB dies at age 85. I know his health had not been good for some time. What Brady is to Belichick, Starr was to Lombardi. 9-1 in playoffs. Five NFL titles.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Huge hero of my youth.

Wore his souvenir jersey to tatters as a sandlot quarterback.

Rest now.

misterbc likes this.
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Better arm than most people thought. Trapped in some turmoil amid coaching changes at Alabama or would have made more of a college impact. A winner. All I care about from a QB. Also, a class act.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Which newspaper will have Ringo in its 1A refer?

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ballsy as they come. Left a 9-year-old crying in front of his TV after diving behind Jerry Kramer to beat the Cowboys.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was a Unitas guy, so Starr was basically a thorn in my side during my childhood.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

In those days, if you heard Ray Scott say: “Boyd Dowler,” you knew Starr hit Dowler on a 15-yard out and he went out of bounds for the first down

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

What a strange route to becoming an NFL superstar. Apparently, his father thought Bart would never amount to anything. As mentioned, was benched at Alabama in a coaching change. Played in the local “all star” bowl after college because he was a home town kid. That got drafted him very later by the packers. Was a spot starter/backup for his first few years. Lombardi didn’t think he was that good and spent the first season and a half looking for a better qb. Then it all just clicked. Everything Lombardi has been saying on how to see the field made sense one game. Start said it was like the game went into slow motion as everything happened as expected. Never really looked back after that.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Also eased Max McGee out of a hangover with two Super Bowl TD passes.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Another legend gone.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Instant Replay," Starr, Lombardi, Kramer, et al, put me on the path to sportswriting.

Liut and garrow like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He was before my time, but I always liked the stories in Maraniss’ book about when the Packers hired Lombardi and most of the reaction around Green Bay was “who?”

Which was Starr’s reaction too until he remembered running off the field after holding for an extra point and seeing Lombardi screaming at the Giants’ defense even though he was the offensive coordinator. During a preseason game. Which Starr thought was crazy. So he knew Lombardi was going to be quite the hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted