1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

What was Jim Otto’s original number with the raiders?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

66?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That was Turley's last great season. He went 9-3 with five saves for the 1960 Yankees but was essentially done after that and out of baseball not too long after. Arm problems.

Shantz went 24-7 with the 52 A's (not the 54). He had some good years as a spot starter/reliever with the Yankees, won the first game in Houston Colt 45s history, and finished with the Cardinals and two other teams in 1964. Not sure if he got a WS ring with the Cardinals in 1964. The definitive crafty lefty.

He was in position to be the winning pitcher in Game 7 of the 1960 WS until the famous bad-hop grounder to Kubek turned a DP into a five-run Pirates rally. He is almost 94 years old and lives in Pottstown, PA.

CD Boogie and John B. Foster like this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Ahh, fuck. Great question.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It was 50, I think. He got 00 later.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

Yes, he wore 50 until one of the publicity guys got the idea for 00 based on his name.

7. micropolitan guy

What was OJ's original number with the Bills?

8. cyclingwriter2

9. micropolitan guy

Yes. Gary McDermott originally had No. 32 but he gave it up for OJ.[​IMG]

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. cyclingwriter2

Not a question, but just a random OJ piece of trivia. His head was so big that the Bills didn’t have a helmet to fit him. He couldn’t practice for a few days as they waited for a new helmet to arrive, which I think had to be shipped from USC because the size was so rare. #welcometoprofootball

Liut likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

I remember that. I saw his first game as a pro, against the Super Bowl-champion Jets. Bills started a rookie QB (James Harris), two rookies in the backfield (OJ, Earthquake Enyart) and second-year WR Haven Moses.

Liut and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Other than Roger Clemens, who has the most career MLB wins who is not in the Hall of Fame?

Draft saved Draft deleted