1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gerry Fraley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, May 25, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

In 1996, when The News sent him to Pittsburgh in advance of the Cowboys-Steelers Super Bowl, he displayed his lightning wit and grasp of the local scene in a news conference exchange with Bill Cowher.

Fraley: "People say you are the perfect Steelers coach, a Pittsburgh guy with that blue-collar ethic . . . "

Cowher: "Who says that?"

Fraley: "A couple guys down at Froggy's."

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

One of the first writers I met on the road when I started covering the Dodgers in 1981. He was covering the Braves and I think it was his first year, too. So sorry to get this news. RIP, Gerry.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Slacker

More good stuff as T.R. Sullivan honors the glory days of newspapers, too ...

Fraley was the fiercest of competitors, but any journalist who went up against him for an extended period of time, who studied his work and learned from it, ended up being a much better reporter for the experience.

Blood may have boiled, wounds may have been inflicted and indelible scars left behind, but journalism is a rough business not for the faint of heart. This goes back to the years before the internet when reporters walked barefoot outside to the sidewalk at 4 a.m. to check the rival newspaper and see what the competitor was reporting.

Fraley lived for that world. He was a member of a rugged, fiercely competitive fraternity that measured success by good, accurate reporting, not from accolades from the faux literary crowd. The best stories were written in 60 minutes or less on pressure-pounding deadlines, and never recognized in the annual dubious anthologies of what passed for great sports writing.

Joe Williams likes this.
  6. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

When you have a president and a commissioner speak about you, you did good.

And amazing to think that the AJC, in the Braves' worst years of the 80s, had Gerry Fraley AND Chris Mortensen as their beat writers.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I hate that. Fraley is an all-time great. RIP

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I have to believe Fraley and Stanke are sharing a few beers about now

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The thing I liked most about Gerry's writing is he wasn't afraid to rip somebody who deserved ripping. In the DFW media market, outside of Dale Hansen, that is unheard of.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I learned to love sports writing while growing up with the AJC of the '80s, just amazing how deep that staff was. RIP Mr. Fraley.

11. Slacker

I've read Gerry's stories for years – decades – and they always were good. It's a loss for all of us that he died so relatively young, and wow the tributes rolling in show how much a bulldog reporter such as Gerry was always admired by his peers.

Never met him. Always wanted to, though. We had some distant family connections.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted