1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Nothing new. They’ve been talking about that for months.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Indy Star had a story yesterday about how drivers pee on race day. FFS. This would be like the Augusta Chronicle during Masters week asking golfers for their favorite Caddyshack line.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Although Colton Herta had to climb from the car during Carb Day today because nature called.

Even USAT would think that was too weak for an Infographic. And you wonder why the world is where it is.

Great Freedom 100, though. The Chris Windom hit is getting all the social media love, but the "how did they wreck but keep going?" moment between Robert Megennis and Toby Sowery was the highlight for me.

If Sunday is hotter than today -- and perhaps shortened by rain -- it may be more of who can use strategy to get to the front and stay there, because I didn't see a lot of easy passing opportunities in the 75-minute practice. Lots of aero push, or at least that's what it looked like when Graham Rahal kissed the Turn 2 wall.

Wickerbills, Gurney flaps, whatever you want to call it, are going to be maxxed out in an effort to find every wisp of downforce.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Late to the party, but Lauda's death is a sad occasion.

Great work by Ron Howard in "Rush." Excellent film ... in my collection and I do not own a bunch of DVDs.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's arguably the best film he's made, and he's made some damn good ones. Apollo 13 probably gets the nod over Rush, but if Rush is behind Apollo 13, it's really close.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

NASCAR is privately owned by the family. ISC is a public company run by the family. Taking ISC private allows them to stop having to file SEC reports to prop up the stock price and streamlines the process if someone wants to buy them out. And yeah, no change to the actual stage/Chase/gimmickry.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Howard is an unusual director - he isn't a director that has a particular "style" - and how many directors have made as many films in differing genres as he - rather his movies seem to live and die on the script. Looking forward to what he does with Hillbilly Elegyl

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think I've posted this before, but it might have been a while and is worth revisiting on the eve of the Indy 500. The awesome tale of Smilin' Ralph Mulford and his leisurely drive to 10th place in the 1912 Indy 500.

THE AMAZING TALE OF THE SLOWEST INDY FINISHER

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I talked to Donald Davidson (IMS historian) about this once, just an amazing story. Some taller tales have been spun that aren't true, but yes they ate along the way.

Hope the weather holds for the race. Taking my teenage daughter.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That "Go home Penske" sign might just be my all-time favorite protest poster.

Draft saved Draft deleted