1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Most careers don't require a day of college. Almost all of them. Teaching does, but it probably shouldn't. Law doesn't in 3-4 states, I believe, including the biggest, California. And if anyone challenged it in court, said, "I want to be a lawyer and I can pass the bar and I don't need to pay for college to do that, I'm not sure what SCOTUS would do, given a law degree isn't a qualification to be a justice. (Maybe this has been litigated in front of SCOTUS before and SCOTUS deferred to state's rights.)

Anyway, it's what I call degree creep, and it hasn't profited us much.

College is best for a broad sampling of disciplines, I'd say. Best when it teaches you how to think. Not what - how. One of the first things college should teach you is to ask and examine whether college is worth a damn to you.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Realistic options for "free college" don't necessarily mean it is free for students to go anywhere in the country. Most likely it would be covering tuition for students staying in state. If they want to go to private schools or go to another state, which is more expensive, they pay for it. So basically, it would be similar to what we have up through 12th grade. You can go to the public school or pay for the private education.

Colleges are still getting their tuition, so there is no reason or justification for increasing on-campus housing costs.

I don't know if anybody is talking about free tuition and you can go to any school you want.

Regarding your tier theory, that came up earlier. There are still ways for students to distinguish themselves even if everybody who qualifies academically has the opportunity to go to college.

5. outofplace

Actually, high schools should be helping students to answer that question, not colleges.

You actually think people should be teaching without a college degree? Seriously?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, if they can teach. I grant that most of them would have a degree. But, somebody goes for 3-4 years, leaves, no degree, I’d be fine with it. Some excellent musician who never spent a day in college wants to lead band, seems OK. I’m big into local communities and local solutions.

I’m not a big license guy. Being a journalist, makes sense, doesn’t it?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Part of the right wing's nonstop assault on teaching is similar to their assault on journalism: denigrate the profession, push the narrative that any fuckoff from the drive-through window at Burger World can do it.

Supporting the arguments they should be fireable at the snap of a finger and also be paid dirt dog wages.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My state rates something like 49th in teacher pay.

A Republican legislator insisted last year that teachers are still overpaid given that it is part-time, unskilled labor.

9. outofplace

I'm big on people being qualified. Teaching isn't just about expertise in a given area. It is understanding how to pass on that expertise. Teachers are lifetime learners, so yes, college should be part of the process. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you can teach it. I know plenty of people who can write who I would never trust to teach an English class. Teachers need to understand academic processes. They need to understand critical thinking well enough to help their students develop that skill. Also, if you open teaching jobs up for somebody to lead the band, as you put it, you have to open it up for core academic subjects such as English, math, science and social studies.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

He needs to go try it sometime.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Before Trump:
    [​IMG]

After Trump:
    [​IMG]

12. Neutral Corner

If the band teacher does not have an understanding of multiple instruments, can't read or transcribe music, or teach the various things which combine to form a functioning band, then his students will be at a huge disadvantage when they apply to college band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.