1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Raleigh/Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

Description:

We’re looking for a sports editor to direct coverage of pro, college and high school sports in a dynamic, high-energy sports market. The sports editor will work collaboratively with our sports teams across McClatchy’s Carolinas newsrooms to develop compelling and essential sports journalism for our readers. The ability to collaborate effectively is essential.

Our sports editor must have a strong understanding of how to grow digital readership and strengthen engagement in a competitive pro sports and Division I college market. Our major readership drivers in North Carolina include UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, NC State University, the Carolina Hurricanes, Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Hornets, NASCAR and a broad stretch of high school sports. This position will most likely be based in Raleigh at The News & Observer.

The sports editor will work closely with our North Carolina senior sports editor to lead our collective sports teams in proactively breaking news on their beats, elevating our day-to-day coverage and identifying exclusive high-end enterprise that drives loyalty with our readers. He or she will succeed by being a strong coach for both early-career writers and sportswriting veterans.

Collaboration across newsrooms is vital, as well as effective teamwork with colleagues in advertising, product development and audience growth.

To apply, send us a letter, resume and six to eight examples of the best work you've directed as an editor to obsjobs@gmail.com.

Duties and responsibilities:

• Use strong editing skills and excellent news judgment to help shape our sports journalism and get it in front of digital readers.

• Work with reporters and other editors to develop smart short-, mid- and long-term news coverage plans that is essential to sports readers.

• Directly supervise sports reporters and editors and help those staff members build key digital audience skills. Work collaboratively across the newsroom, state and McClatchy to help develop a high-performing North Carolina sports team.

• Use analytics tools to determine effectiveness of strategies and revise as needed to drive our top-level audience goals.

• Use problem-solving skills to negotiate hurdles and identify solutions to stay on course with projects and strategies.

• Coach and mentor staff for improved performance and progress on individual skills, career goals and newsroom and company priorities.
    Education and knowledge: College degree required. Minimum of three years experience leading reporters and directing sports coverage.

Skills:

• Strong news judgment. Models journalistic values of accuracy, fairness, balance and objectivity.

• Excellent story-editing skills.

• Ability to coach writers and editors.

• Resourceful, able to anticipate needs and bring new ideas to the newsroom.

• Ability to understand and use readership data to inform our editorial process.

• An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and a quick study in learning new skills and technologies.

• Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy (toward both readers and staff), situational awareness, and a superior ear for tone.

• Handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.

• Outstanding organizational and detail-oriented skills.

• Ability to generate ideas for content likely to reach new digital audiences.

• Ability to collaborate with colleagues across all departments; highly developed communication skills.

• Skill and versatility as an editor, including the ability to shape everything we create – breaking news briefs, enterprise take-outs, long-form magazine-style pieces, video, graphics – in a way that best serves and engages the broadest possible audience.

• A deep understanding of how to build and deepen reader engagement.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Sounds like a big-boy job, to coin a phrase.

3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Actually 2 big boys. Both places are hiring because both took the McClatchy buyouts. This is a place I’d love to go to but I have not near enough experience. If they’d give a shot to a copy editor looking to make that move, I’d be there. But these are gonna get multitude of resumes and they’ll have their pick of the litter for both gigs. And will be replacing two legends.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And I wouldn't be surprised if they already have someone in mind for both jobs ... I can think of at least one person currently on their universal desk who'd be a good fit for either job ...

5. Fran Curci

Sounds reasonable, but wouldn't that person be a good interim sports editor? Who is in charge at the moment?

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

This also sounds reasonable but are you saying this person wouldn’t/couldn’t be capable of running the show? I’m assuming here that’s not what you meant necessarily.

7. Fran Curci

No, not saying that; I don't know the players. Poor wording on my part. I do wonder how they're dealing with this issue until they hire someone.

8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I figured that was the case you weren’t necessarily saying that. But I agree with the wondering on how they’re gonna deal with it. Because there’s a couple of basketball tournaments coming and a couple of pro teams to deal with.

9. Fran Curci

Another example of a job that, in years past, would have generated tremendous buzz. Now ......?

10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Is it just still open after 3 months or have they just decided not to have an SE?

Draft saved Draft deleted