1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, May 20, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We are almost two weeks away from the official start of the 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season (June 1), and we get the first named storm of the year.
    Andrea isn't expected to amount to much, but it's that time of year again.

Andrea, Atlantic season's 1st named subtropical storm, forms

2. Driftwood

In the past 12 years there have been at least six named storms right before hurricane season officially started -- during the second half of May -- but in the 31 years before that, there was "a lack of any such activity" in the same time frame, said Dennis Feltgen, a meteorologist and spokesman with the National Hurricane Center.

Andrea is the 5th storm kicking off the Atlantic hurricane season early - CNN

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, there was lack of activity "in the second half of May."

But there was activity even before that.

1981: First named storm (Arlene) formed on May 6.
    2003: First named storm (Ana) formed on April 20.

4. Driftwood

Forecasters predict up to 8 hurricanes in 'near-normal' 2019 Atlantic hurricane season

The federal government predicts a near-normal hurricane season for the Atlantic Basin, with 4 to 8 hurricanes expected to form.
    Overall, NOAA said that 9 to 15 named storms will develop. This number includes tropical storms: A tropical storm contains wind speeds of 39 mph or higher and becomes a hurricane when winds reach 74 mph.
    Of those 4 to 8 hurricanes, 2 to 4 could be major.
    An average season typically spawns six hurricanes and peaks in August and September.

5. BTExpress

Gee, we had 28 named storms and 15 hurricanes, seven of which were major, in 2005.

Guess the Earth is cooling back down. :)

6. Driftwood

I really don't get what point you are trying make. All I am doing is informing people that it's that time of year again.

If anyone isn't a hurricane follower or doesn't have anything constructive to add, they are free not to participate in this thread.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. BTExpress

I lived 26 years in a hurricane zone. Wilma's beautiful eye passed over my house in 2005. Follow them all closely.

I'm just being snarky about all those "hurricane seasons are getting longer/stronger/more numerous" stories that started popping up in the mid 2000s. CNN is trying to do that by pointing out ANOTHER storm that formed before hurricane season starts. The facts they presented, however, were incorrect. I kind of considered that constructive to point out.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Driftwood

I've been through 5, one of which I was an honest to goodness refugee sleeping in my truck in the middle of it.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When I was in Clearwater we put out a special edition on Elena, which was headed right for us
    It stalled out on Cedar Key, took a left turn and hit Mississippi
    Nobody saw our special edition
    The delivery drivers never showed up

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You never know where these things may go.

In 1979, Hurricane David killed over 2,000 people as a Cat 5 and was heading directly for Florida's major southeastern cities. We taped the windows, tossed the patio furniture in the pool and waited. We barely got anything near a typical summer thunderstorm out of it.

The thing took a right turn just as it got to the Gulf Stream and eventually skirted the entire peninsula, mostly knocking down a radio station tower in West Palm and tearing up billboards on I-95 before it went inland near Savannah. The worst damage was probably spun-off tornadoes in Virginia.

But I've been through Fran and Floyd and that's more than enough to convince me that owning property near Wilmington is a very bad idea.

11. Driftwood

Hugo, Matthew, and Florence were my biggies. I don't remember the names of the other two because they weren't major.

Fran was a bitch that helped wipe out my beloved Topsail Island. 1996 was a major hit to the island because you had Fran and Bertha back to back. Floyd did a number on eastern North Carolina.

maumann likes this.
  12. BTExpress

I miss just about everything about South Florida . . . except for tracking those things and rejoicing if I noticed a nudge or wobble that indicated we would be spared a direct hit.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted