1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Emma the healthy Shih Tzu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 22, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Several of my cats were put down when I was a kid, and it was heartbreaking. One of my cats ended up dying in the waiting room.

My last cat, I sat him on my lap and held him until he fell asleep. I do recommend if you do this, to bring a towel to put on your lap, as his bladder let go when he went to sleep.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was in the room when they put a cat of mine down several years back. No doubt, he stared at me the whole time as the drug took effect, almost like he was thanking me for ending his pain. It was tough, but I was glad that I stayed for it.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Personally I agree, but an executor is legally bound to carry out the wishes of the decedent unless activities are involved which are 1, illegal, or 2, financially or physically harmful to the heirs.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The last dog I had was diagnosed with lymphoma a few days before I was to go on a vacation. The vet told me she would live a couple more weeks so after much thought, I decided to keep my plans. I hired someone to come to my house every day to feed her and give her her meds.

This was in 2000 and cellphone coverage wasn't as strong as it is now, so I had no contact with the pet sitter for three or four days. When I got closer to home and called her, she told me my dog had died. I never found out if my basset hound died at the vet or if they put her down. I still regret I wasn't there for her at the end, but part of me is relieved that I didn't have to be there for the heartache of watching her pass.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Licking your hand is a dog's way of saying thank you.

Liut likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If my beagle chewed my golf shoes, we'd have to have a very long talk. Actually the only shoes he has ever chewed were my mother's, a decade ago, and I only hear about it every single time she visits.

Arthur is 12 and slowing down a little but should have several more good years. But I do think about how hard that moment will be on my daughters, who don't know life without the beagle.

Liut and OscarMadison like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If your dog chews your direct tv remote, go through Amazon, not direct tv.
    I buy by the bulk.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'll keep that in mind the next time I chew up a remote. #NHLPlayoffsAreToughOnOldPeople

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Fuck.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You guys don't stay in the room when the vet puts them down?

Not cool, people. Not cool.

expendable likes this.
  11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

As the owner of a Maltese-Shih Tzu mix who'll turn 9 in September, I am more than half pissed off.
    If I joined the choir invisible tomorrow, I would want my boy to have a great rest of his natural life before we were reunited again. Even if my ex couldn't take him, or anyone in my family, he's a major ladies' dog, and still passes for a pup. I'd want someone else to enjoy him the way I do.

12. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Wish I could like this post more than once.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted