1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 1, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Did Reggie Theus get a mention? One tourney bid at NM State then to the NBA. Not so good stuff since then.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The issue is not previous head coaching jobs. It’s previous assistant or head coaching jobs.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

For a whole season. He won 16 games.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I covered that team
    That's how I got to know Izzo

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

A bigger issue
    Howard is the first black coach in the Big Ten since Rutgers fired Eddie Jordan in 2016
    He is the first black coach hired by a Big Ten school since Minnesota hired Tubby Smith in 2007
    BTW, the last UM player to coach the Wolverines was Dave Strack, who led UM to two Final Fours with Cazzie Russell and Bill Buntin

The 14-Team Big Ten Had 14 White Basketball Coaches: Michigan AD Warde Manuel Can Change That

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Forgot, Hoiberg was a coach who went back to his Alma mater with no coaching experiance.

He’d only been a front office person.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Add Walt Hazzard to the fail list.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I thought about Hazard, but he coached at D2 Cal State Dominguez Hills before UCLA. I recall taunting him when I was a student and they in came to play my alma mater.

9. ChrisLong

Forgot about CSDH, Chapman too. Just referring to UCLA where he lived in the spotlight and did very little coaching.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It was Chapman, not Dominguez Hills. Got my CCAA schools mixed up.

According to his AP obit, "Before taking over at his alma mater, Hazzard coached two seasons each at Compton College near Los Angeles and Chapman College in Orange County."

11. ChrisLong

Glad we got it straightened out.
    I remember the time when he hired Kris Jason as the grad assistant. We went to watch practice. Not one regular coach was there. Who is running practice?? Kris Jason. Hazzard was at KCBS filming something. Jack Hirsch went with him. I don’t even remember the other assistant coach.
    I also remember a quote from Hirsch when Hazzard was hired and he immediately hired Hirsch: “It’ll take ma a couple of weeks to figure out where the shit is buried and then we’ll really get things done here.”

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted