1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

C'mon, man. This is silly.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm just saying LeBron is great, no doubt, one of the best that I've ever seen, but does he go to 8 straight Finals with Varejao and Mo Williams and those guys? I'm emphasizing that like coaches, the view of players' respective greatness is influenced by the talent around them. I guess Wilt is a prime example. You can't judge players solely by themselves, you have to consider their teammates.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What Championship NBA team was greater than the sum of its players?

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And at age 33 LeBron dragged a team to the finals with JR Smith second on the team in minutes played.

He was not surrounded by great players in Cleveland.

LeBron isn't great because he went to eight straight finals. He went to eight straight finals because he's great. Large difference.

Donny in his element, Tweener and JC like this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is a very intelligent basketball take.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I can’t believe people still believe the crap that @qtlaw argues.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Instead of that, how about he dragged those fuckers to a final. Did MJ take Orlando Woolridge to a final?

And I still think MJ is the best ever before that bullshit starts.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Orlando Woolridge was too coked out of his mind to do much of anything. Fuck, half that Bulls team his first two years were cokeheads.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And he was was still better than Varejo.

10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I know Magic owned a Fatburger, a TGIF restaurant, a cinema and a tiny share of the Lakers. I have read he no longer owns any of these. Does anyone know what his businesses are now? I never see him mentioned in the LA Times business section.

Does he just sell his name a la Trump? If not, what is his role in his enterprises? Where does he work? What is he like as a boss? This would be an interesting long form story.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He was also involved with the Dodgers. I think he's mostly been a "front man" providing direction while others handle details. There might be a few instances where movers and shakers recruited him on to a project to make something happen, but I know in the case of the movie theaters and Starbucks in black neighborhoods, he was instrumental in getting better quality businesses to open shop in places they were avoiding.

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

No doubt. I have patronized his Fatburger, and his TGIF a few times and his cinema once. They seemed well managed.

La Cienega and Centinela where he had his restaurants, was always upscale urban and is now somewhat gentrified. His cinema in the Crenshaw shopping center was impressive the one time I went there many years ago, clean and secure.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted