1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Las Cruces (N.M.) Sun-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mrudi19, May 22, 2019.

1. mrudi19

mrudi19 Member

This is my old job. I would be happy to answer any questions about the job, the Sun-News, Las Cruces, etc. This is not a bad job at all as it includes New Mexico State men's basketball. NMSU made the NCAA Tournament three out of the four years I covered the Aggies and had three players who went on to the NBA during my time at the Sun-News, including the Raptors' Pascal Siakam. Sports Editor Jason Groves and News Director Lucas Peerman are great to work for. This position also includes high school sports and, sometimes, NMSU Olympic sports. High school football is pretty big in Las Cruces. Las Cruces is cheap to live in, has a population of about 100,000 and is about 40 minutes from El Paso and three hours from Albuquerque.

The Las Cruces Sun-News, part of Gannett, Inc. and the USA TODAY Network, is looking for a hard-working, video-capable journalist to cover sports in southern New Mexico.

We’re looking for someone who’s comfortable capturing on video the moment from the game that has everyone talking on Friday night and then summarizing each team's chances of winning a district title for the Saturday folo. Can you hold coaches, players and Division I athletics officials accountable? Can you grow a following via Twitter and Instagram? Can you then take a deeper dive into a topic for an enterprise sports story that plays well across several markets? Then this is the place for you.

Pairing narrative and visual journalism extends across multiple platforms — print, online and social media. We value your storytelling ability — whether it's in a tweet or a 1,500-word Sunday centerpiece.

This digital journalist should expect to use all of the visual and interactive storytelling tools available at the Sun-News.Applicants must have at least two years of daily newspaper experience. Spanish fluency is a plus.

The Sun-News, part of The USA TODAY Network, pays competitive salary and excellent benefits.

Las Cruces is known as Title Town in New Mexico high school football, having produced many state champions in recent years. The annual Las Cruces-Mayfield cross-town football game attracts nearly 30,000 people to Aggie Memorial Stadium and is routinely noted as one of the best rivalry games in the nation. Doña Ana County, the second largest in New Mexico, is home to five big high schools and several small schools. The area produces several state championship-caliber teams and many more intriguing stories. Also, this reporting position will get to cover New Mexico State University, a Division I team sporting one of the nation's most consistent men's basketball programs (the Aggies have advanced to the NCAA Tournament seven of the past eight years).

No phone calls for initial correspondence, please. Feel free to e-mail your resume/cover letter, work samples and references (electronic correspondence preferred initially) to: Lucas Peerman, News Director, Las Cruces Sun-News, lpeerman@lcsun-news.com.

A valid drivers license is required for this position.

Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. Greg Ford

Greg Ford New Member

How is Las Cruces as a place for someone looking to retire? I am veteran journalist who has experience covering sports.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Would it be a bad job if it included New Mexico State women's basketball?

Draft saved Draft deleted