1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESports becoming real sports - Contract dispute breaks out.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, May 22, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Nerds gonna nerd.

I should note that the local big university has an e-sports team with scholarships and everything. It’s not an NCAA sport, so I think the players can earn all they can at tournaments or wherever nerds congregate.

I’m surprised my old engineering school employer doesn’t have a team because as the outnumbered 4:1 female students say (mostly about dates and mates), the odds are good, but the goods are odd. Women there have a hard time dragging the male nerds away from their gaming for even a date.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

My high school has a successful esports team already. Cue up the jokes about Catholic boys up late playing Fortnite.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Is there anyway to monetize my skills at Sega 1993 NHL? Bc I will kill anyone. Get me drunk, I get even better, bc it was college and that’s how I learned the game.

DanielSimpsonDay and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I’d destroy you. Lol.

6. CD Boogie

I would let you pick my team and you could play with your team of choice. And you’d still lose. Seriously, it’s probably the most useless thing that I am really good at

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember that old 1980s Nickelodeon kids show “You Can’t Do That On Television.” (The show that used to dump green slime on the kids.)

Anyways, I still remember one of the boys trying to go for a video game scholarship. As nutty as that sounded back then, it turns out they were 30 years ahead of their time.

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Either the Penguins or the Flames. That slap shot from Al MacInnis in that game was deadly.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. CD Boogie

Phil Housley and Theo Fleury were unstoppable.

Winnipeg kind of sucked beyond Housley, but he was a lefty shooting hoss of a defender and I could get to the net at will with him.

Yeah, Fleury and MacGinnis were a nice combo.

Pens were nasty back then

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wraparounds all day with Fleury. Roenick, too.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, and the OP means absolutely nothing to me.

12. CD Boogie

Roenick was unfair. Certain teams we would rag on you mercilessly for playing with, and Hawks were one.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted