1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 8 (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I hope we can agree upon Tyron Lannister is one of the most interesting characters ever placed on the TV screen. The show might have gone downhill, but he brought it every episode.

That long walked was actually pretty well done, for me, because it changed from him assessing the city to him looking for his siblings.

I enjoy thinking about the show more if I focus on him being the main character in all of this and not the others.

heyabbott, JRoyal and HC like this.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But, but, but ... we MUST be entertained!!! And if we're not entertained, we will throw tantrums because that's what millennial nerds do.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Trying to think of the shows I've bailed on ...

Walking Dead
    Fear The Walking Dead
    Shameless (this season was the last straw)
    The Bridge (though FX canceled it pretty soon thereafter)

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Re: Samwell Tarly. I get that being on the small council as a maester is a big deal, and especially for his character, but I am just frustrated by it:
    — it doesn’t seem like that much time has passed since the election of bran as king. In the show and books, it made it sound like getting “chained” took years. He got them in a few weeks? Order of the King? Did Bran tell the grand maester, “so, yeah, I saw the future and same aces his tests so just give him his chains now.”
    — also, he is (was) now the heir to House Tarly. He had a castle to live in. And a wife and a baby on the way. Did he just denounce all that?

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm guessing royal decrees took care of all that. Bran just said, "Make him grand maester," and "He gets to be married, too."

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

New order, new rules.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Also, at least some time had passed. The room where they met was previously trashed in the battle but seemed in pretty good repair during the meeting.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How much do you think the reaction to the TV show is going to influence GRRM's writing of the last two books? Will the ending be the same? Maybe he's already said it will be; I don't follow the news about the show that closely.

Will Bran the Broken be sitting on the Iron Throne?

Just wondering.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

He gave the showrunners the main plot points to follow and then left them to their own devices on how to get there pretty much. I think a lot of the high notes will be the same, like Bran on the Iron Throne and Dany turning villain, but I think he'll take a different road there. I bet a lot of the complaints we're hearing about things feeling rushed will be addressed, with more development given to make them feel more fluid.

Of course, I also think there's no way he finishes the books. Maybe one more, but I don't see him getting through another.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Put me down in the ending will be similar, but the path will be extremely different. Also, it will be tough to read (if they come) the chapters in the new books that have to do with Young Griff, fake Arya, Lady Stoneheart, the dark Maester, etc. because I will know going in that they have no bearing on the end.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I can't see myself reading them. I read the first one and loved it, but the show by then had far surpassed the timeline, so I didn't progress further. Reading the last two after the show has ended would just be jarring to me, a constant check against the show, etc. Just an altogether weird reading experience that I can't foresee enjoying. Maybe with the passage of time and a lack of familiarity with the show that will change.

Draft saved Draft deleted