1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 8 (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Apr 8, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Some things just come naturally, Smallville. Like you can’t refrain from getting in the last word, even though it makes you look worse every time.

I’ve quit plenty of shows, many in your egghead wheelhouse: Stranger Things (which reminded me of Lost); Lost, which was obviously winging it; I went back and watched the final few episodes to see where it landed and it proved my suspicions; the walking dead, which got awful after Terminus or whatever that place was called; Big Bang Theory, which I thoroughly enjoyed until Sheldon’s character became self aware of how his humor was supposed to play; True Blood until the relationship with Suki and Bill overwhelmed the show; How I Met Your Mother until it just started getting tedious.

At some point or another I’ve skipped parts of every show. I’ve never watched an entire series as it’s airing without missing some portions. I like TV, but I like to watch sports and to read too much to get consumed completely. Too many good entertainment options to just stick to something.

And if you’re easily offended by a battered partner metaphor that everyone understands, I don’t care.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Everyone understands Holocaust and slavery metaphors, too. That doesn't mean they are always appropriate.

It's funny how people whine about others needing to get another word in as they fulfill their own need to get another word in. The lack of self-awareness truly amuses me.

At least you realize the asshattery and laziness comes naturally to you.

3. CD Boogie

Of course you fail to recognize what I was referring to in a lame bid at humor. Leave the witticisms to the big boys, Smallville.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep. Most TV show episodes are just not good enough to be recapped. And the criticism involved in those recaps is thin soup at best.

JRoyal likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

6. outofplace

I got it. I turned it on you and you don't like it, so you go for the "He doesn't understand" page out of the troll handbook.

Your next successful witticism will be your first.

7. CD Boogie

^^^^ haha. "I turned it on you.."

lol. If you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd be a fucking genius. Alas.

I wonder why it's the consensus that you're a last-word freak of a shithead? I wonder...

(And our evidence is coming in 3, 2, 1...)

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think most people -- including myself -- never really expected an Arya spinoff. Just thought it would be a pretty awesome show and we'd love to see it. And to the person whose stomach was turned by people thinking about a spinoff -- Too soon? Really? It's not like someone fucking died. It's a TV show. Thinking "Wow, that would be a cool show" isn't some disgraceful thing. It's not like making a 9/11 joke on 9/12 or trying to bang a widow the day after the funeral. And it's not like HBO hasn't worked on five spinoffs already and doesn't already have one going to pilot. That was a gross overreaction.

On a different note, of all the characters that were done wrong -- and there were plenty -- Cersei might be the biggest one that no one is talking about much. She was one of the best villains in TV history, they spent a decade making her an amazing, strong character, and in the end, she was reduced to a woman who wanted her man. Some of it was because of the rush of the final season -- they just didn't have the time they needed to play out the war against her fully after spending three episodes on the Night King, so there wasn't time to have a back-and-forth of twists and turns as she got the better of Dany a couple of times before going down. All we got was a rushed "well, she got one dragon" before Dany handed her ass to her. I think I'd rather have seen a final defiant scene with her with Jaime, where she tells him she doesn't regret what she did, that she was protecting her family and her children right up to the end, and even by dying under a mountain of rubble, she would be protecting her child from the horrors of living under Daenerys if the Dragon Queen even let their child live, with Jaime left simply saying, "I know," as he held her one last time before they died. Tragic ending for both that would have been better for both characters. Instead, she falls apart at the end, and goes from being archvillain to an impotent weakling.

9. outofplace

That's a fair assessment of Cersei's end, though I don't think "wanting her man" was the issue. She was desperate for someone to save her and her child and held out hope that Jaime could do it. It was a pathetic end for a great character.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Depending on Jaime to save her in those moments was the "wanting her man" part. She collapsed into dependence on him. That was never her character. He was far more dependent of her than she was of him.

11. outofplace

Gotcha. I just didn't see it as her wanting him so much as wanting anything or anybody who might be able to save her.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I bailed on the Americans, too. I really like the show, but I got tired of the premise.

Draft saved Draft deleted