1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Third base.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. Slacker

Trump’s Authoritarianism on Display at Rally in Pennsylvania – Rolling Stone

One of the hallmarks of authoritarianism is jailing one’s political enemies, an idea to which Trump is no stranger. He’s called for an investigation into Hillary Clinton for years now — especially at rallies, where he knows he can get the crowd lathered into a “Lock Her Up!” frenzy — but actually doing so seemed implausible, like something that couldn’t actually happen in America. This is no longer the case.

After Trump accused Democrats and the FBI of treason Monday night, he stepped away from the podium to bask in a “Lock Them Up!” chant. When he returned to the microphone, he reminded his supporters that Attorney General William Barr is in his pocket, and that the new, compliant head of the Justice Department is going to “give it a very fair look” to jailing of those involved in the Russia investigation for treason.

“@SpeakerPelosi @TeamPelosi I would be pleased to speak to you as an expert on how authoritarian regimes take hold, with this as a warning sign,” tweeted Ruth Ben-Ghiat, an authoritarianism historian at New York University. “This is scary to watch,” added Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT). Others, like former Office of Government Ethics Director Walter Shaub, likened the comments to something out of Nazi Germany. “Shades of 1937,” he wrote.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He's called for Hillary to be locked up. But he can't make it happen and hasn't. As much as I despise the asshole he hasn't "jailed" any enemies that I know of. He can strut and wink and even outright brag that he might try but he hasn't and I doubt if he could.

6. Slacker

7. Slacker

He could, however, incite riots. He'd watch 'em on TV for fun, then blame everyone else.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize polls fluctuate back and forth, but I've given up trying to figure this President's numbers. He's down about five in recent Quinnipiac and Gallup polls. Is it the Iran thing?

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Surprise, both Rasmussen and HarrisX (a Rasmussen joint, apparently) have Trump at 46 approval. Quinnipiac has him at 38.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A guy tried to defend going to war with Iran by saying "President Trump acting proactively in regards to intelligence Red Flagging threats from Iran vs President Obama and Hillary Clinton's handling of the warnings and Red Flags from our Consulate in Benghazi."

I reminded him that nine different investigations cleared Obama and Clinton of any wrongdoing.

His response was that I was clueless and the investigations found otherwise. I pointed out that there was no stand-down order. He said " You're trying to change the subject: Obumma and Hillary should of had military assets in the area. The Consulate warned the State Department numerous times of the threats to their compound.

The Obama/Clinton Administration had 3 huge failures in Benghazi; the failure to either fortify or evacuate Benghazi when threats increased, the failure to adequately protect and support American personnel during the attack itself, and the repeated lies told the American public after the attack to minimize both the nature of the jihadist threat and the scale of the administration’s total and complete incompetence. Unlike Obumma and Clinton, Trump is being proactive with the Red Flags intel has presented to his Administration."

Is he wrong or am I guilty of not reading beyond the headlines?

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The 538 average has had his approval and disapproval ratings pegging along at the same levels for so long I've stopped looking.

Now I can start obsessively obsessing over the 2020 polls. (And did you know that latest Quinnipiac has Warren up three over Trump in Pennsylvania?!)

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.