1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 8 (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sometimes I actually like it when a show goes to shit because the discussion and arguing about it with true believers is fun. It’s especially fun with Thrones because it’s so popular. With something like Westworld, not enough people care.

garrow likes this.
  2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Westworld got too full of itself. The second season tried to be more than it needed to be, and it’s just made it all a confusing mess.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I still enjoy Westworld.

I also bailed on SoA and never went back because I stopped caring.

I bailed on Deadwood because I think I was moving or something. But I went back later.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I walked away from Smallville, though I returned and I was rewarded with a final couple of seasons which were a lot better than the middle. Among current shows, I walked away from Arrow, Flash and Agents of SHIELD. Then again, I don't think any of those three were ever anything special.

I'm trying to think what I've even watched that ran longer and stuck with all the way through. I think the list is Cheers, The West Wing and NYPD Blue. The last two definitely declined near the end, but were still decent. Here's the thing y'all are forgetting. Most shows decline at the end. It doesn't mean they suck. Sometimes a great series becomes a good or mediocre one. Y'all need to get the fuck over it when it happens. If you don't like it any more, by all means stop watching, spare us the whining about those of us who are still interested.

By the way, your metaphor was both idiotic and a little offensive in that it seems to make light of what battered women go through.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

GFY.

Smallville. JFC.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was interesting how much asshattery and laziness you crammed into such a tiny, irrelevant post.

Do share is the list of long-running shows you watched. Of course, being you, you'll probably leave out anything that you think might make you look uncool.

That was a partial list. I was mostly thinking of nerd stuff in response to DD's earlier inaccurate commentary. I left off non-nerd stuff such as The Sopranos.

I also left out shows I binged later, like Sons of Anarchy, as that is an entirely different deal than watching something as it airs.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Americans sticks its ending.

First 2-3 seasons excellent, show hits a lull, but what starts as a weakness becomes a real strength by the end.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Jon is doing exactly what he wanted to do. He's gone back north, beyond the wall, to become the next Manse Rayder leading the Wildlings.

Arya's ending was good... but the immediate speculation that it will lead to an Arya goes West GoT spinoff turns my stomach. Too soon.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Interesting take, well reasoned.

Opinion | How ‘Game of Thrones’ Failed Fantasy

"In its rush to finish, the show effectively lost sight of both reasons for fantasy’s appeal. The showrunners, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, seemed bored with and embarrassed by the magical element of the saga, hustling through the supernatural stuff and declining to explain crucial motivations and purposes, in order to get back to the political material … but then their haste also deprived the political plot of its sociological complexity, its ripped-from-the-pages-of-history plausibility, that was necessary to make the horror and catharsis of the early seasons work.

They either didn’t understand what made Martin’s books distinctive, or they found the synthesis of genre elements too difficult once they went beyond his finished books. And so the show’s ending embodied many of the dismissive clichés about fantasy, rather than representing the genre come of age."

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Double Down likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I guess every publication on Earth is required to write a fucking thinkpiece on GoT.

Alan Sepinwall has been a net negative on the television viewing experience.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I soooooo wanted to like The Americans. Everything about that show is right in the wheelhouse of my life and interests. I bailed on season one about three fourth's of the way through. I tried again with season two, but didn't make it halfway.

I think it would have been a great premise for a movie, not a series.

I watched the first season of Westworld and enjoyed it. I bailed on season two at the start of the third (maybe) episode when they started off in British-ruled India or somewhere. I said, "I don't need more plot lines to keep track of."

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Not trying to sound Uber cool, but I gave up on Seinfeld after about four seasons. It was mainly because I got my first high school job and worked Thursdays for two years. When I got to college, I had no interest in watching it again.

Draft saved Draft deleted