1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 8 (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Apr 8, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why is that a problem? Who said the Starks are unambiguous heroes?

2. outofplace

Oh, the epic tragedy that a show wasn't quite as good at the end as it was during the earlier years of its run! The gnashing of teeth! The fanboy rage! The horror at seeing characters follow the natures that were established and developed for years because the final beats weren't perfect!

We keep seeing all this overwrought crap and I'm the fanboy?

Some of y'all are funny.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Has anyone written yet that GOT fans should have a better appreciation for what Star Wars fans felt after The Last Jedi, or was The Last Jedi more acceptable to culture critics because broke toward progressivism?

4. outofplace

Did you really just try to drag politics onto this thread? Please, just no.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I suspect of the criticism (earned?) regarding the end of the series centers on issues of how women characters are treated in art.

In The Last Jedi, similarly shoddy work was done (Leia can fly? Luke's a real asshole? Wait - how'd they crash that ship?) but in ways that generally reflected quite well on the women. In that case, I found critics (who, like me as a lover of movies, don't particularly fixate on Star Wars) generally rebuffed the loud mob.

Just curious if the parallels can be seen.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I just re-watched the episode. I don't hate it. Other than Bran winding up king and Bronn being Master of Coin, I think things turned out with proper endings.
    On first viewing, I didn't catch that the Unsullied were leaving Westeros. Give them a couple of weeks, then tell Jon to do whatever he wants. I think ultimately, his ending was the best for him.
    For me personally, Arya got the best ending of all.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

A dwarf made the appeal so that the crown could be given to an invalid.

But at least they all laughed at the suggestion of creating a democracy.

8. CD Boogie

Says the guy STILL watching The Walking Dead. The writers don’t love you, as evidenced by their narrative choices. Ya don’t have to be the battered partner who just excuses everything they do. You can walk away...

Question: what’s the longest series, either TV or film, that you walked away from? And why?

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I walked away from Lost, TWD, Law and Order (after Orbach died) and ER.

With ER, it was because almost the entire original cast was gone. With Lost and TWD, it was because I stopped giving a fuck.

CD Boogie likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I bailed on the Americans and Shameless in the last season. DVRd both final seasons and never watched them.

Btw. GOT finale was more rewarding and enjoyable than Sopranos.

CD Boogie likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

I just started The Americans and have crushed like 7 episodes. Love it! But I’m probably of the perfect age bc I was 8 in 1981, when it starts, so I remember the Reagan assassination attempt, etc. it’s vivid to me

12. CD Boogie

Lost, they never expected the show to be that popular, so they were just winging it by a certain point. It shows with the ending, which was a godawful cop out.

Draft saved Draft deleted