1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think that's a very logical idea, after they were denied the vote for so long.
    As a father I oppose abortion.
    Queue the Jurassic Park meme of Nedry saying "See, nobody cares."

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump is so corrupt, he inhabits swamps in multiple time zones.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And your morality is to take choice away from women. You, as a man, want to tell women what to do with their bodies.

Giving them a choice is not fording them to do anything. They can still choose not to have an abortion. It is when the choice is taken away that the government is forcing something. That's the part of the argument you are trying to avoid.

Oh, and your claim that the states pushing draconian anti-choice legislation right now aren't trying to push their morality is a load of bullshit. For one thing, not everyone in those states are in agreement. Just the people currently in power.

More importantly, they are pushing those laws as a way to challenge Roe v. Wade. That is an attempt to push their morality on the rest of the country.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Biden spread still at 19.5:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination

Sanders hurts everyone else. Warren (still, perhaps, the most presidential option short of one big unforced error) won't get enough traction with Crabby Sanders in the game.

I just don't see it being Harris. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't mind her, but she gives off Clintonesque vibes.

Biden's spread is big now but, come debates, he'll get beat up by the other candidates, a couple of whom are complete do-nothings compared to Biden. It's their only chance. And he can't snipe back at any of them not named Bernie. Biden's biggest strength - he can debate, wiping the floor with Ryan and besting Palin without looking down his nose at her - is lost, to some degree, when there are multiple attacks coming at him.

There's the AOC factor, too. Somebody's gonna win her Twitter support.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Roe v. Wade pushed its morality on the nation first. And, again, however I feel about the issue of abortion, I'm not really talking about that. I'm talking about how we think about morality. Liberals tend to think morality flows one way. It doesn't. Many liberals I know are every bit as rigid, moralistically, as conservatives. Actually, they're more so, bound as they can be by whatever new weekly addition they have to their tolerance code.

I gave the gun reason as an example. I, for one, would like to restrict guns quite a bit. That's morality. Maybe, in the eyes of this heavily-progressive board, it's appropriate, acceptable morality, but it's still morality. Single-payer health care for all? Taxpayer-funded free college for all? Same things. Not necessarily bad things. But there's a morality in it. Might as well own it.

If the conservative blowhard moralist is a thing, so, too, is the liberal passive-aggressive who plays at tolerance, but is really just a rigid, virtue-signaling moralist who thinks the world should walk, talk and act a certain way - his way - in the name of some "freedom" that's really a complex set of ever-changing rules of which he's the controller.

(And yes, conservatives can virtue signal, too.)

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Roe v. Wade doesn't push morality because it doesn't force a choice. It offers one. Nobody is being forced to perform abortions due to Roe v. Wade. Nobody is being forced to have an abortion by Roe v. Wade. I don't think you are so foolish that you can't see that, so why do you keep pushing that false narrative?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If I had stayed in Divinity School, I'd be divine by now.

h/t Woody Allen

Proceed.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

[​IMG]
    All train compartments smell vaguely of shit. It gets so you don't mind it. That's the worse thing that I can confess.

You know how long it took me to get there? A long time. When you die, you're gonna regret the things you don't do. You think you're queer? I'm gonna tell you somethin': we're all queer. You think you're a thief? So what? You get befuddled by a middle-class morality? Get shut of it. Shut it out.

You cheat on your wife? You did it, live with it. Fuck little girls? So be it. There's an absolute morality? Maybe. And then what? If you think there is, go ahead, be that thing. Bad people go to hell? I don't think so. You think that? Act that way. A hell exists on Earth? Yes. I won't live in it. That's me.

Did you ever take a dump - made you feel like you'd just slept for twelve hours?

BadgerBeer and Azrael like this.
  10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Full trumpette.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

[​IMG]
    i like my presidents the way i like my queso

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

The "bad" christians think they are morally superior and want to use god and jesus to make laws in the US , for everyone.

BadgerBeer and Baron Scicluna like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.