1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The same reason a population who elected Trump is still demanding to define the world's moral standards.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How come we never hear of someone described as “He was a good Muslim,” or “She was a good Jew.”

We always hear of “He was a good Christian.” As if that particular religion is some sort of superiority membership.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

By whose definition? Roe gives women the choice. Nobody is forced to have an abortion. A ban is forcing. Not the ability to have a choice.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword
    Trump or Jesus ?

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Some say he’s mad....But, for certain,He cannot buckle his distempered cause
    Within the belt of rule.

MacBeth or Trump?

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I went to church a couple Sundays ago (Methodist, pretty progressive), and in her sermon the pastor discussed the great comma, which, in the Apostles Creed, basically skips Jesus' life, and, therefore, his teachings. Instead its belief in the virgin birth and belief in Jesus' suffering, death and resurrection. I, anyway, interpreted her sermon as we're missing what you've written above — teachings about love and charity and forgiveness, etc., the stuff that's in the gospels. So, by skipping that part but telling people they'll get to heaven if they believe in Jesus' birth and death and resurrection, the church can say whatever it wants and preach whatever morality it wants, whether it's about gays or abortion or even about this seemingly newfangled, megachurch Christian ideal of personal wealth. They can even feel good about being Christian and supporting Donald Trump.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Alma, my standard operating philosophy on abortion has been that I don't get to have a philosophy.
    Not until I have something other than male equipment between my legs anyway.
    Men really need to shut the fuck up about this topic. If for no other reason than the discussion requires less noise.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Promoting choice is still a moral. That's your morality. To give women a choice.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I've heard people described this way. Do you mean, in, like, obits?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That would be a bigger upset than Alabama losing that game to New Mexico State.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They can even feel good about being Christian and support any politician whose worldview is antithetical to Christianity.

Of course there are many things in the gospels. One can read them back and forth, and I doubt you're coming out of them with a liberal progressive view as it's seen today. It was revolutionary and progressive at its time, no doubt. That's part of the issue. We read Pharisees and think "Republicans." To which I say, well, yes, to some degree. But Pharisees were legalistic moralists more than anything. And I know many Democrats who fit that bill, too.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Do you mean you don't want one?

You do get one. Roe v. Wade was enshrined in US law by seven men.

If American women voted on the matter by state, are you saying you'd be OK with the state-by-state results no matter what the result?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.