1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

If this is what passes for justice in the South, why are Southern states demanding to define our moral standards?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, for one, I've already written here that I think the Alabama (and now Missouri) bills are poison pills that will never get into law and nevertheless badly hurt the Republican Party. So that's 1.

But, for two, southern states are not demanding to define your moral standard. They're trying to define their own moral standards. Much like a state might if it said "you know what, we're banning the sale of all guns in the state." Now, I'm not saying states should be able to define their own moral standards on abortion. I am saying that's what states are trying to do.

Any state that did so, by the way, would quickly become shunned by the rest of America. The NCAA, for example, would almost certainly pull any event out of those states. Musicians would refuse to go there. Films would refuse to shoot there. Tourism would go down. Sporting events may be picketed. It'd be a hell of a thing if, at the first Alabama game this fall, there were 1,000 handmaids standing outside Bryant-Denny.

All that said...I know people on this thread rather enjoy shitting on Christians and Christianity. Sadly, Christians have made their share of errors. I don't think advocating against abortion - which of course has nothing to do with original post - is among them.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jesus is the nominal head of the GOP, if you ask them. Ecclesiastical Law is republican policy, like Sharia Law is ISIS policy

lakefront likes this.
  5. heyabbott

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It is super, SUPER easy to do. Because there are so many shitty Christians.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I was shitting on a church leader who raped his teenage daughter for two years.

Neutral Corner and BadgerBeer like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There are so many shitty people, period. Some of them absolutely are Christians. Others call themselves that without having the foggiest what it means. It's just a thing Americans say they are because it's predominant here.

ISIS, for example, has killed tens of thousands and kidnapped and raped thousands of women. Are they Muslims? Are they people who claim Islam but have no real clue about it? If they called themselves Christians, would you feel more strongly about their villainy? Would others? Are we more prone to moral touchdown spikes on Christians because we know the religion better?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The other shitty people, in general, don't act holier-than-thou.

Christians do the shittiest things, and act like they are doing the right thing.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. heyabbott

We also have 1800 years of Christian History to reflect upon. Forced conversions,exiles, heresy trials, centuries upon centuries of torture, crusades, inter-denominational wars. You can interpose the abject brutality of Islam in the last 100 years but was it easier to be a nonMuslim during Moorish rule of the Iberian Peninsula or a nonCatholic during the Spanish Rule that followed?

Christians have a track record of being the least tolerant religion in world history. That hate each other with nearly the same fervor they hate nonChristians. And they have, for nearly the entire history of their faith, ignored the single most important statements of Jesus:

1. Matthew 22:36-40

1. Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
      Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
      This is the first and great commandment.
      And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
      On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I appreciate the irony that the descendants of secesh are more American and patriotic than anyone else, and have now become the country's moral arbiters.
    The Confederates were among the bad guys in the country's national story and so are these people too.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

By definition, the moral arbiters would be those in charge of the majority of the abortion law.

That's the seven justices who enshrined Roe v. Wade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.