1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keto

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2018.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We were sort of outdoorsy and tackled the toughest 3-mile hike in our area that had some steep ascents. We cooked most of our meals so we could stay on plan, and what we cooked was better than anything we ate in a restaurant. I gained 1.5 pounds, but I'm still less than 180. I'll take it.

2. swingline

Except for hospitalizations (ulcers, appendix going kaput), I haven't been at this weight in 10 years or more. My 33 waist Levi's are getting pretty loose, so I'm about five pounds away from breaking out my old 32 waist Levi's. This keto shit is like magic.

Moderator1 likes this.
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Indeed - great work. I've taken seven boxes of clothes to donation places and have some clearing out ahead. About 20 pounds to go, going to buy a new suit and a tux when I hit my goal weight rather than get my current ones altered.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Rebooted my keto reboot today. Might actually stick to it this time, thanks in large part to the peloton arriving the other day.

Moderator1 likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

A Peloton? Did you win the fucking lottery?

6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

You can no interest finance a Peloton for $50 a month right now. Add in the $33 a month membership fee and its $83 a month in total. That's cheaper than a gym membership for my wife and I -- and I have no excuses not to use it. It's sitting right up the attic so I uses it much more. Getting a Peloton actually saved us money.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Congrats! I hope that works out, but I also wanted to say, I love "invest in fitness equipment" logic.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This thread and your progress in particular really inspired my wife and I to start on Keto.

We started late March. I'm down 32 pounds after tipping the scale at 256 the morning we started. (That was after a long food-heavy road trip, and a weekend splurge, so maybe not the MOST accurate of weights, but a good place to start counting.)

My wife's down 18-19 pounds. We haven't been as strict as it seems you are. We've had a half a dozen minor cheat days, and we both basically took a weekend off about 10 days ago when I was out of town for work. That bumped me back about 8 pounds, but as of this morning I've re-lost that, and another couple of pounds. The loss in the first month (~25 pounds) was a lot more aggressive than it's been in the second, but no complaints. I've certainly veered more in the second month than the first.

I want to get down at least 60 total before I let off the gas much more, and I really should go 80 total, but we'll see. Day to day, it's fine and not hard to stay on, but generally speaking, I'm ready to be done. We have a close friend who's moving at the end of the week, so there have been a lot of happy hours and "one last time" restaurant stops. I just want a burger (real bun!), fries and a pale ale with my friend, damn it!

Oh well. I'll eat like a sane person, albeit a weight-conscious one, when I get where I'm going. It does feel great to have all my clothes (and then some) fit again.

Moderator1 likes this.
  9. Moderator1

Heard. I'd kill for a bowl of pasta right now with lots of bread. But a lot of stuff I find I don't miss as much as I feared.

If I make it to my goal weight, it will be 80 pounds down. Coming off much more slowly now but that's to be expected. Now that I'm under 2 bills, I'm mixing in some running with my daily walks so I hope that speeds things up.

Pilot likes this.
  10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That's awesome. Like I said, your posts here really helped us decide to jump in.

I feel like when I can stay focused, I still lose pretty well, maybe 4-6 pounds a week. I just haven't been as focused. When I slip, even if not dramatically, it takes a day or two to get back to where I was. We're certainly not planning any more weekend breaks, and I'm hoping for a good 2-3 weeks here going forward without much distraction. Hopefully, that will help me reach 210 or so, ~45 pounds lost.

Moderator1 likes this.
  11. Moderator1

The only real problem I have with it is, by design, it doesn't really allow for cheat days. You get knocked out of ketosis, you're 4-5 days getting back into it. I'm most proud of only taking ONE cheat day since Oct. 1. Soon as I'm at my goal weight, I'm eating ALL the pasta. But my plan is to keep this as a habit but allow more "cheat days." I'm giving away my clothes so I can't afford to get fat af again!

Keep it up, you've done great.

12. swingline

Like Moddy, I thought I would miss the tasty carbs in crackers, chips and bread (and Mac ‘n’ cheese), but it’s been easier than I thought. I still feel a little deprived once in a while, mostly because of my sweet tooth (cookies were my downfall; I could eat a dozen hyvee chocolate chip cookies in a day).

As of yesterday’s weight less than 175, I’m less than 10 away from my goal. If I hit 165, it will be the first time at that weight since the days I worked out for three hours a day five days a week.

I see the stairclimber back in my future.

JackReacher and Moderator1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted