1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And now a compelling Bump Day isn't the top 500-related story in Indy -- it's Little Al driving drunk again. FFS.

He can't get a ride in May in Indianapolis? And he's driving a VW Bug? Again, FFS.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Niki Lauda died. Goddammit.

Niki Lauda, three-time Formula One world champion, dies aged 70

When I was a kid I hopped the wall after practice at the USGP and walked down the pit lane and got his autograph. He was standing next to his car eating an orange.

I don't have a lot of heroes, but Niki Lauda is on the very short list.

John B. Foster, Huggy and misterbc like this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I only learned about him because of the excellent Ron Howard film, "Rush," but, damn, the guy was impressive.

I've always liked open-wheel racing, but never really been "into it." Seeing "Rush" piqued my curiosity - which had been low since about college when I was playing a lot of F1 racing video games. The Netflix show, "F1: Drive to Survive," which my 7-year-old is really enjoying, has also stoked my interest lately.

I just bought him an F1 video game in which he gets to play as his favorite driver, Fernando Alonso. Game is hard as shit, but he likes it even though he crashes a lot.

I'll be interested to see how much he gets into the race on Sunday (too bad Alonso won't be there). We haven't watched any live racing together yet. He'll probably root for Will Power in the Chevrolet.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Monaco is also on Sunday. That's worth recording and watching with him -- the setting and spectacle is amazing.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Glad you mentioned that. Monaco is my favorite track. It's on my bucket list for sporting events to attend.

6. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

His coming back after the 1976 German GP accident must be the greatest example in sporting history. I can’t think of anything close. I’m sure it ticks all the boxes of a ‘comeback’ per se, a hell of an achievement. RIP to an icon. Agree, “Rush” was a terrific flic.

murphyc and bigpern23 like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Has he been trolling for a ride lately? I didn’t even know he was still racing.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

10. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

He is working for Harding Steinbrenner Racing and Colton Herta.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

By no means should a team have to be responsible for their guys at all times, but on Indy 500 qualifying weekend I just can't believe someone like Unser Jr. was in a position where no one else was with him to either drive him or take his keys or whatnot. Even in the wee hours. And not just because of his bad history but because he's friggin Little Al -- in Indy he's still more famous than just about all of the current drivers.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    franticscribe, maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted