1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ: Going around the globe is the same as the cost of a laptop

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 20, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That is one expensive laptop.

A Dad and His Grad Take the Longer Way Home

If there’s one thing people should hope to do in life, it’s travel abroad. But it’s not cheap relative to some things. It often seems like a reach - especially for families.

I went online and search for RTW tickets and found this: How to Buy a Round-the-World Plane Ticket : The Art of Non-Conformity

The tickets have great value but they’re not cheap and they take hours and hours to research and find. And then there’s the time it takes to get there.

One revolutionary question - that takes no policy changes or protests in the streets - is simply this: How do you afford that? How do you afford that? I don’t mean asking that into a search engine. I mean asking it of people you know. Friends. Family. Anyone. How do you afford that? It doesn’t take very long, if the answerer is honest, to figure out the financial situation.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I realize this an essay and not a how-to, but just give me a dollar amount instead of bragging about your "incredibly cheap tickets" while also saying you could barely eat in the same paragraph. This the WSJ, right? Show me the money.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep. The minute he does though the spell is broken

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

so only halfway around the globe or no solid state hard drive

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, I’m just baffled a WSJ editor let that line through, about it being similar in cost. The essay is fine - not my taste, but fine - otherwise.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I wonder the fewest number of flights it would take to circumnavigate the globe using existing nonstop long-distance routes.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wish.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If the Font of All Knowledge (TM) is to be believed, it'd probably be something like: LAX to Singapore, Singapore to Doha, Doha to LAX.

Twirling Time likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted