1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that will make you sh!t your pants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, May 20, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This was about an hour and a half southeast of me.

These things are nothing to be trifled with.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you get that close as a storm chaser, haven't you done it wrong?
    Also, it's amazing that the tornado passes right over those turbines and doesn't nuke them, and also that they're barely moving once it passes. I don't suppose they're designed to blow like a house fan when it's windy, but seeing the calm in the wake of that storm is weird.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I chased them for a number of years.
    Last one I chased, I grabbed my next door neighbor, who had always wanted to go on one. Got word that there was one spinning about 5 miles north of where we lived. So off we go in my truck. Raining, windy, hail........just a mess........then all of a sudden, it's dead quiet. No wind. No rain. Nothing.
    Got the fuck out of there, and headed back to the house where we proceeded to get shit-hammered drunk.
    That was 17 years ago.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I was in Kansas City for a work summit a few weeks ago and got talking to a local who lives in Manhattan, Kansas. He was all nonchalant about twisters, said something about only being scared when the sky turns a green hue. Well. Fuck. That.

I lived in Nashville and we'd occasionally have tornado warnings, but never experienced any touchdowns. I couldn't imagine living in like Kansas or Oklahoma, places where they happen on the regular. Those things scare the shit outta me.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The green sky is the tell-tale sign that there's a big-ass storm coming. May or may not include tornadoes/hail.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Today is a scary day in Oklahoma. Anniversary of the Moore F5 and the TorCon is at 9.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Taco Bell.

Chef2 likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That tornado was probably an EF-1 at most and still looked plenty deadly. Think of something like an EF-5.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

5s are often a half mile wide and look like a fat hulking mass of debris. They are less picturesque.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How does the sky turn green? That's crazy.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Okarche is under the gun today. God better leave Eischen's alone.

BartonK likes this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Greensburg was 1.7 miles wide.
    Let that stew in your brain for a minute.

1.7 miles wide.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted