1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just because something happened in the past doesn't mean it is normal when that something becomes worse. The mass shootings are happening more often. The response to it by many has been disgracefully lacking.

You normalize things in a way that suggests they are acceptable. None of that crap is acceptable. That the United States has done bad things in the past doesn't mean we shouldn't be outraged when our own democratic process is subverted, whether it be from within or without. We used to have slaves in this country, too. Does that mean we don't ever get to speak out about slavery elsewhere in the world?

I get the difference. The United States isn't going back to slavery, but it will continue to exert influence around the world, sometimes in inappropriate ways. That is where you and I differ. I do care more about things done to the United States than things done to other nations by the United States. I don't think anybody should do it, but I'm a lot more concerned when it is done here.

Very little about the Trump presidency is normal. That you don't see that makes me wonder about your thinking. Maybe it really is just blind devotion to team Russia.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Too many Americans never ponder, nor care, how America is viewed by other countries, including our allies. Big problem.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Americans have no ability to empathize or see the big picture.

Slacker likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Night Liar: a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who's presidency should not exist.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Americans have the luxury of myopia because, until now, we have never had the risk of fighting a war for survival on our own lands. Europe and Asia know what it’s like to be at war with their neighbors and be conquered. The Chinese know what’s it like to be subjugated. The Russians remember German invasions. Almost every country in the world has been on both sides, conquered or conqueror, except the US.
    The flyover red states are isolationist even within the US. Insular in their outlooks and sympathies. Their greatest desire is to be consumers of an America that existed in the movies and on the coasts from 1951-1964.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It’s also what 75 years of American Exceptionalism produces. When you tell the masses you’re the bestest country on earth and anything and anyone not from here is inferior it’s easy to develop at terminal case of the Fuck It’s.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Diplomacy!

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They are also the losers of the Scottish-Irish-English feuds and wars. These are the immigrants who became share croppers, miners and dirt farmers. Pushed west not out of choice but out of desperation. Not for a better life but because they had no place else. These are the SEC and Appalachian areas and their kin who migrated west to Oklahoma, North Texas and beyond. The shallow end of the British Isles’ gene pool. Not the Swedish/Nordics of the northern MidWest. Or the subsequent central and Southern Europeans immigrants. the German, Italian and Polish immigrants have bested the ‘native whites’. The great robber barons of the late 19th and early 20th century have left few descendants to approach their accomplishments. American wealth dissipates after 3 generations and work ethic dissipates after 2.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No visit by Fucko? Now that's the luck of the Irish.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suspect also there are security problems bringing the anti-Catholic Fuckboy, son of a KKK wizard, to Ireland. Could present some very interesting IRA opportunities.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

There's a pattern here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.